Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Disable headlights on start up

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2020, 10:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Disable headlights on start up

'04 Tahoe, how can I temporarily disable the headlights coming on during starting up. Its a problem when doing night time photography and moving the truck. Thanks. *BW*
Old January 27th, 2020, 3:24 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

unplug them?
Old January 27th, 2020, 4:51 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Without pulling a fuse...easiest way I can think of is engage the parking brake before starting. This will disable the auto headlights, then you can use the dome override to keep them off after you release the parking brake.
Old January 27th, 2020, 7:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Brake will stop DRL's but don't think it would stop the headlights coming on if dark enough. Only thing I can think of is turn them off as soon as you start vehicle with dash switch.
Old January 27th, 2020, 11:09 PM
CF Junior Member

No, the parking brake engaged won't keep the headlights off. Yes, the pushbutton will keep the interior lights off. Now back to the question. There is a way to solder a resistor into the wiring to disable the auto/lights on scheme. BUT, I found out tonight that a small bright white flashlight inserted into a cutout of a Styrofoam cup placed over the dash sensor like a enclosed dog house worked very well ! Now, to find a bright white LED, some wiring and a cig plug to carry along with me already made up and ready to go. Thanks for the interest. *BW* On to my next thread.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (January 28th, 2020)
Old January 28th, 2020, 11:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a little confused. The headlight switch has an "off" position. Why not use that?

And what's with the *BW*?
Old January 29th, 2020, 4:18 PM
CF Junior Member

SORRY BUT IT DIDN'T WORK as in msg #5. It only partly works. Late last night, I covered the dash sensor as mentioned and used the flashlight. Truck in park and brake is set. Start up and the outside lights will stay OFF, YAY !!! BUT, as soon as the lever is moved from Park the headlights come back on. NOT what I wanted. Wait a short while and try again, turn the key to the ON position, move the lever to N and start the truck and the headlights are quickly ON ! Covering the sensor had no effect at all. My question right now IS my headlight switch working right ?? A 2004 Tahoe, the headlight switch is spring loaded to keep it from going to the "O" position or as some say off otherwise and is at the AUTO position or the two other settings. I'm not sure if this is normal or not ? Someone has mentioned why just not turn them off, maybe a few years were different. Can someone else help with that question. Another problem with starting in Park is that the brake pedal must be pressed to be able to get out of park causing stop lights to come on. Remember this is a dark site for doing night photography and NO lights is wanted. In earlier years we used to pull fuses on cars to stop lighting to leave early but when cars got newer doing that caused problems with their onboard computers and leaving problem codes. Thanks to all.
Old January 30th, 2020, 7:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Went to two chevy dealers today with the hopes of getting my hands on a new headlight switch just to feel it and see if it is spring loaded to the AUTO setting like mine always has been since day one. But, both parts departments told me that the switch is discontinued ! Yes I know about other sources having them. May drive by a large used car sales lot and walk up to some trucks like mine to get my hands on to check out. Thanks.
Old January 30th, 2020, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Our 05 Suburban switch is like yours - ie springs back to auto from off position; so yours is working correctly (unfortunately)
Old January 31st, 2020, 9:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks Red for the good and bad news ! The small round button nearby for the interior lights when quickly pushed on/off 4 times does not make the ding sound. I saw that its easy to take the back off of the switch box as if to replace the bulb and be able to look inside and maybe clean the contacts for the button. Maybe a tomorrow job. Still am looking for other options for keeping the headlights off completely. Maybe wire in a toggle switch somewhere to do it. Regards.

Quick Reply: Disable headlights on start up