Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dome light button controls dash lights

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2012, 12:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are my dome light buttons controling my dash lights

Today I started my 07 Suburban and when I pushed the button for the dome lights, my dash lights went out. When I pushed it again they came back on. Also my lights under my outside mirrors came on and they haven't been working. I know some of you have read my post about my dome lights not coming on when I open the door. Just another weird light problem. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Last edited by jbsavage_24; January 1st, 2012 at 1:01 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:06 AM
CF Beginner

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me something. I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty so I am guessing it will be covered.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 3:36 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jbsavage_24,

I am sorry to hear of your frustrations with your Suburban. You stated that you have purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty. Have you taken the vehicle in for this issue yet? If you would like, I can research your vehicle further if you PM me your VIN number.

I look forward to your response.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue!

Did this issue ever get resolved? I am having pretty much the same issue. The dome lights come on when I open the doors but while the doors are closed they will not turn on manually. Each time I try to turn them on manually the dash lights turn off. If I turn one on manually (just pressing the switch because it doesn't actually turn on) and leave it that way, that light will not turn on when I open the door. I have tried messing with the dome override button but no help. I can get all of the lights to work if I turn the dimmer all the way to the right.

Only thing I can think of is that the manual function of the dome lights runs on a different fuse then the automatic door lights and dimmer switch. Doesn't explain the dash lights though. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Rel320i Welcome to the forum...
I would check all the fuses, and make sure the dimmer button is working correctly for the dash lights... make sure you are turning the button enough...
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the quick reply and welcome! Planning on checking the fuses later today. As for the dimmer switch it is working perfectly. As I mentioned it will even turn on all of the dome lights if I turn it all the way to the right and it clicks over to the "all lights on" setting. I'll let you know what I find when I look into the fuses later.
Old April 7th, 2013, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, it was the fuse. Two fuses related to the dome lights. One for manual controls and the other for the automatic door switches/dimmer. Crazy that the one would shut off the instrument lights... Hope that helps someone who comes across the same problem
Old April 7th, 2013, 5:09 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Excellent! , were the fuses under hood or on the IP by drivers door?
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Both in the IP. It was only the "interior lights" fuse that was bad.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default Interior lights/dash lights issues

My lights are acting strange. I cannot get my interior lights to come on except when I open the door or turn the dimmer ****. With the vehicle running and no lights on, I push the interior light button and the dash lights go out. If I am driving down the road at night and someone tries to turn on the interior light then the dash lights go out. Very dangerous. I checked all the fuses and everything checks out. If the door is open and the interior lights are on I can push the button above the dimmer **** and they with turn off then back on when I push the button again. This is crazy!