Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Eliminate the rear A/C

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2007, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eliminate the rear A/C

My 97has a leak in lines/couplings for the rear A/C. Another 02 here has been diagnosed with the same. We would both like to eliminate the rear systems and keep just the fronts. Any ideas on closing it off and how much to reduce the freon charge?
Thanks
Old July 11th, 2007, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Eliminate the rear A/C

Are you sure you want to do that??? Just curious because even with the front working it's not going to cool the rest of the burb down enough to be comfortable. I just remember living in tucson with no ac at all with a suburban and how extremely hot it got the kids and myself!!!
Old July 17th, 2007, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Yup. If I recall, the rear system was optional. The only thing getting warm back there would be my tools or materials! I haven't used either backseat in maybe 4 years.
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Out of sheer curiosity why do you have such a big vehicle if your not using it for passengers? Why not get a truck????!!!! Silverado is my best opinion!!! But that's just me! Also do you have problems with it overheating when the AC is on? I have that problem. I stuck an external fan on it but it doesn't seem to work very well.
Old July 19th, 2007, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

It started out a "people mover". After a few years, I started using it for work. It's cheaper to register than a truck. Stuff stays nice and dry. Also a lot of dumps and transfer sites don't charge passenger cars to dump. They hit you for $65 or so a ton for trucks.And it takes passenger car tires, not light truck tires. There is not much difference in the size of a Silverado std cab w/long bed and the Sub.
Mine never overheated. Maybe it has an HD cooling system. I bought it used, and never researched the RPO tag in the glovebox. It has a factory hitch and connector, so maybe the towing package has a bigger radiator. The only cooling system problem I had was the intake gasket leak. After it was out of warranty, I flushed the daylights out of it and changed from Dexcool to Prestone. It's been trouble free ever since.
Your overheat problem maybe as simple as the fan clutch isn't working, or it just needs an aggressive system flush.