Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Exhaust and the V8 to V4 mode

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2007 | 3:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Exhaust and the V8 to V4 mode

Just wondering, for those of you with aftermarket cat back systems, or just mufflers, do you notice the exhaust sounding funky when it goes into the V4 mode from regular V8 mode? I was talking to my buddy at Magnaflow and he said they have received some "complaints"/comments on the exhaust sounding weird when in V4 mode (not just a Magnaflow-specific issue)...anyone comment on that? Looking at getting the Magnaflow system, just figured I'd ask for any comments...I want a better sounding exhaust, stock is nice and quiet, but I'm looking for more (like usual), just without the drone inside.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions...and if you can share where the best deals are at, I'd appreciate it...
Old April 5th, 2007 | 7:27 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Exhaust and the V8 to V4 mode

I don't think it sounds funky, but you can clearly tell when by the sound when it has switched from V8 to V4. Doesn't bother me at all and its not a real big deal.
Old April 5th, 2007 | 10:05 PM
CF Junior Member

installed magnaflow (part 12589), removed resonator and installed magnaflow tips.... I cannot tell the switch from 8 to 4, but then again maybe the music is too loud... pretty darn happy with the magnaflow system.
Old April 6th, 2007 | 12:55 AM
CF Beginner

Funny that you mention that. I got my Magnaflow exhaust put on and a week later went on a roadtrip. It was the most annoying thing when you get fixed in on the noise. I had an easy fix for it though. Turn the music up.
Old April 6th, 2007 | 4:39 AM
CF Active Member

I have flowmasters 40 series and they do the same thing, we it goes into 4 cyl. mode. I think its annoying...
Old April 6th, 2007 | 9:32 PM
Administrator

That's the sound of you saving money at the pump.

Will let you know how the GM Perf. Exh. sounds when I get it on.
Old May 2nd, 2012 | 3:18 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Noise and vibration in V4 mode

I'm getting the same noises underneath the drivers side floorboard. I notice a faint noise when i bought it when cruising in V4 which didn't bother me but over the year it's been getting worse and now it even does it off and on at idle. Has anybody else experienced this and have a fix? I would like to educate myself on this before I decide to take my Tahoe in.
Old May 3rd, 2012 | 8:13 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Silver Garilla
I'm getting the same noises underneath the drivers side floorboard. I notice a faint noise when i bought it when cruising in V4 which didn't bother me but over the year it's been getting worse and now it even does it off and on at idle. Has anybody else experienced this and have a fix? I would like to educate myself on this before I decide to take my Tahoe in.
Good morning Silver Garilla,

I see that you're looking to gather information before deciding what to do to address the noise concern you have with your Tahoe. We can look into recall or warranty information for you with the last 8 of your VIN, or if you decide to work with a dealership to get this looked into, we're available to help in any way we can. Feel free to get in touch with us here on the forum.
All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 3rd, 2012 | 8:13 AM
CF Addict

Default stock

I don't hear a thing w/the OEM setup... so it's staying that way... I like silence in my ride
Old May 4th, 2012 | 12:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Silver Garilla

Welcome to the forum.

The V4 mode typically will disengage below about 25 mph so if you're hearing the noise at idle, then it's not the V8/V4 AFM.