Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Factory Wheel Cleaning Methods

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2015, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Wheel Cleaning Methods

I have the factory finished GM wheels on my 03 Z71 Tahoe.

I haven't been able to get them looking like new in years.

I usually clean them with purple stuff and a bristle brush. This has always worked fairly well, but there are a few stubborn spots typically in corners and crevices that just will not go back to a factory new look with this method.

I assume I need to do some type of polishing with an abrasive compound of some type to really bring these wheels back to a like new clean but I've always been hesitant as I'm not sure what is safe for the finish that GM puts on these wheels.

I'd had a hard time finding information on the finish they use and safe methods to really clean it.

I also have a few scratches on the face of one wheel from getting stuck years ago that I would like to attempt to repair.

If anyone can point me in the right direction with either item I would be very appreciative.

-cerobbins
Old January 25th, 2015, 2:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

I had brown brake dust discolouration on my rims that I could not remove. Scrubbing methods were tested in small area but left marks. A detailer at work used a diluted acid etching solution designed for cleaning rims. She power washed the rims, sprayed on the solution and let it sit for 1 minute. The rim was wiped off with a rag and then power washed off. Show room condition when done.
Old July 9th, 2015, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually use Chemical guys diablo wheel cleaner with daytona brush to clean it perfectly. For tough stains I use Megs wheel cleaner but depends on the wheel finish.