Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Few problems with my suburban

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2014, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few problems with my suburban

Alright I got a few problems I'm going to list them I need help
1994 chevy suburban k2500 5.7 350
Truck has a death wobble only sometimes when braking. It's not EVERYTIME I stop it wobbles. Maybe 1 in 10 stops but when if does it it feels like the whole truck is shaking apart. The front wheels wobble, makes your butt pinch tight. Hubs are brand new, brakes are pretty worn, ball-joints need replaced, just got a new steering gearbox too just need to slap it on.

#2 Ac plug doesn't work, I did the old truck of sticking a paperclip in the plug and it MELTED the paperclip...yeah. Melted it. The plug right next to the condenser.

#3 speedometer doesn't work, we'll it does but I'll be going 30 and it's saying I'm maxed out going 85 and stopped I'm going 50. When I turn my ac on, it seems to work better, it registeres only a little off but it doesn't bounce anywhere, it's steady, then the ac off and it's back to bouncing. The speedometer is hooked to the odometer, so.. Mileage is climbing as if I'm going 85 miles per hour when I'm really going 30. And when I idle it's going up 50 miles per hour.

Help? Confused. Also the starter doesn't like turning over fast. It's slow and draggey and sometimes the starter will barley start it.
Old June 12th, 2014, 9:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. You have seem to answer your problems with this one. Worn brakes, worn ball joints? I'm guessing both would give you wobble. Just warped rotors can give you the shakes.

2. Can't help you on this one.

3. Sounds like bad stepper motors. Easy fix if you can find the replacements. Not sure about that model year but I've replaced almost every one on my wife's 2003 envoy.
Old June 12th, 2014, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

I wanted to make sure because before I get set on doing balljoints brakes and steering box, I wanted while I had it apart to replace anything else. Thanks for your help I'll look into the speedo thing
Old June 12th, 2014, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Also more info, there is a steering damper on it, and it's new, and as for the speedo it acts like a rpm guage as we'll, I tried 2 different guage clusters from the junkyard and both were doing the same, my truck does not have a tachometer. and the guage with a tach did the same thing as the one without it.
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Damper was probably put on by previous owner in a cheap attempt to solve/hide the shimmy problem. I just changed out my steering box, and the pitman arm was shot as well. between those 2w, it tightened up the steering, but I cannot say I ever had the shimmy shakes!
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

on a 20 yr old truck I would rebuild the entire front suspension, ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends etc id replace the shocks also. why are you replacing steering box?
Old September 27th, 2014, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Problem fixed. Rebuilt entire front end. Thanks guys!