Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front axle seals replacement.

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2014, 12:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front axle seals replacement.

I will be attempting to replace a leaking axle seal on the drivers side of my 4 Wheel Drive Suburban. Before I start the process, I would like to know if the the entire front unit has to be removed or if the axle can be taken out while in place on the Suburban. I have been told that the axle can just be popped out like a CV axle on front wheel drive cars. If so, the removal and replacement of the axle shouldn't be a problem. However, I would like to know if there is a C-clip or retainer that keeps it in place after the CV axle is removed from the flange on the short axle. Appreciate any info on the R & R procedure for the axle.

Thanks
Old March 5th, 2014, 7:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

what year?

l/f side can be driven out. sometimes it can be hard to hammer out. if this is the case put pressure on one side of the stub shaft flange with a pry bar and hammer the opposite side. this keep even pressure on both sides, hammering alone can wedge one side tight.

the r/f side should not be hammered out. The axle tube should be unbolted and the cir-clip removed with snap ring pliers. if you try to hammer it out you will bend one of the flat washers that sit near the clip.

Last edited by tech2; March 5th, 2014 at 7:35 PM.
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:52 PM
CF Active Member

Default Axle seal replacement

Thanks for the response on how to remove the left side axle. My Suburban is a 2008 4wd 1500 with a 5.3L V-8. I am considering replacing the seals on both sides. You mentioned there is a clip that has to be removed on the right hand side with snap ring pliers. Is the clip an internal part on/in the front unit?

Last edited by Yogi; March 6th, 2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old March 6th, 2014, 7:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

once you unbolt the right axle tube housing from the front diff...the clip is under a washer. Once the clip is removed the axle shaft can be pulled out of the axle tube and then the seal can be removed.
Old March 7th, 2014, 4:02 AM
CF Active Member

Default Leaking axle seals

Thanks for the reply on the clip to be removed. I was able to get an illustration of all the components of the front end and axles. Appreciate the feedback on what needs to be done.

While I am at it, I will also be replacing both CV axles and wheel hubs. Should take up a day if everything goes according to plan.