Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front Brakes 99 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2011, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes 99 Tahoe

I'm going to be doing a front brake job on my friend's 99 Tahoe, because (I am a sucker) (I am a good friend) [you choose]. I have done numerous brake jobs in the past and found that each one has its quirks. I have not attempted brakes on a Tahoe or any GMC truck/SUV.

What is different or odd about the Tahoe that may trip me up or slow me down?

What size socket do i need to remove the lug nuts?

Any suggestions as to brand/model pads and rotors to use? My friend is a married guy in his 40's who drives like his mother.

Thanks in advance!
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Why do you think the rotors need replacing? And pads?

Not sure but the lug nuts have been 19mm for quite a while now but always good to check. If you have to remove the calipers (instead of being able to swing them out), be sure to use a wire (coathanger works) to suspend them so there's no weight on the hose.
Old February 7th, 2011, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

I know Fords use 19mm, so it doesn't surprise me that Chevy's do too.

The Tahoe owner and I work together. Last weekend I helped another co-worker do his brakes. Word got out (as first friend was grateful and wanted to publicly thank me) so second friend came to me with sad-puppy-dog-eyes. Second friend (Tahoe owner) says that he hasn't done his brakes in a while so it's probably time. Last time he just had pads replaced, and based on that he figured it was time to do the rotors, as well.

What I'm looking for are quirky things. For example, Ford Explorers' rotors are integrated into the hub. Changing rotors means needing to repack the bearings. Co-workers Lexus has an unusual pin that holds the pads inside the caliper and has pistons that push on both brake pads. Is there anything about Tahoes that may trip me up? Special tools needed, for example?

Also does anyone have experience, positive or negative, with specific brands of pads or rotors? We used Akebono pads and Centric rotors on the Lexus, which so far have been very quiet and smooth. I'm sure there are different requirements for an SUV vs. Lexus family car.
Old February 7th, 2011, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

As I'm researching, it looks like the Rear Wheel Drive vehicles have the hubs integrated into the rotors. Does that seem right?

The vehicle in question is a 2WD (RWD) version.

Thanks!
Old March 1st, 2011, 5:37 PM
KRD
CF Beginner

The rotors are intergrated with the hubs and you will have to repack bearings if you remove the rotors. I believe that a 3/8 inch allen wrench will remove the calipers and there are just 2 bolts that hold the calipers on. You will have to get the inner seals for the rotors because i do not think that you can remove them without distorting them. I do not think that there will be any quirks that will trick you up, it is a pretty simple cut and dry task to do the job on gm disk brakes. If he has the original jack kit with his tahoe the lug wrench is in the kit.
Old March 21st, 2011, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the great info, everyone. Sorry for the delay in response. Other projects got in line ahead of the brakes.

One more question: I imagine that since the hubs are integrated into the rotors, the spindle nuts need to come off in order to remove the rotors, right? Anyone know the size of the socket needed to remove the spindle nuts?

Thanks again....