Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2006, 8:41 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade

type 53570 in the part number search after you log in, it is 121 if you are wanting si/so 3inch. Some items the forum pricing isnt a huge difference, might not be any at all on some items. But it is the best pricing I have found for mufflers, prices include shipping and they are fast too.
Old November 10th, 2006, 9:22 PM
CF Veteran

So BigLG,
14579 is what he has. The slightly more agressive one is the 12249. right?
Old November 10th, 2006, 9:28 PM
CF Addict

Yes, 12249 is the smaller more compact muffler, therefore more sound. It is 5x8x18. His is "I THINK without looking again 5x11x24.

There is also a 4x9 I think. I am not sure how it would sound different from the 5x8.

I talked with magnaflow and they confirmed the 5x8 will be louder than the 5x11.

What you need to remember, IMO magnaflow and flowmasters sound different. Flowmaster has more of a truck/farm truck sound. DONT TAKE THAT WRONG GUYS, just trying to describeit. Magnafloe has more of a sports car, nascar, drag sound. It isnt as rumbly, something like that. THis is all My opinion!!!!!
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Flowmaster 40 series as well but am thinking about going Magnaflow as well. I want the single in and dual out. I got on their website but am confused with all the choices. Can somebody point me in the right direction for what I would need?

Thanks guys,
~digdug
Old November 14th, 2006, 6:15 PM
davemec

ORIGINAL: FriscoKid
See my above post. I now have the Flowmaster 70 series Big Block II and LOVE IT. There is no drone on the highway like my Magnaflow had. I'm not knocking magnaflow, but it wasn't for me. The Flowmaster is perfect for what I need.
FriscoKid, do you know the part number for your Flowmaster 70 Series?
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:59 AM
CF Beginner

All of the Magnaflow part numbers listed in this thread are incorrect. My muffler guy ordered and installed my original Magnaflow so I didn't have the part number. The part numbers listed in this thread are for a 3 inch center / 3 inch center muffler. I assumed these specs were correct and ordered my Flowmaster 70 series the other day from PerformancePedder.com. When I went to have it installed today I was told I needed a offset/offset muffler but forgot to ask if I needed the 2.5inch version or the 3inch.

Mistakes happen so it's no big deal but I need to know for sure if I need the 2.5inch version or the 3inch. Can anyone say for sure?
Old November 16th, 2006, 1:25 AM
CF Addict

What! That is strange, magnaflow said 3 inch center center! You are putting this on your stock pipes, correct?

Has anyone slid under their tahoe to look and see if it is offset offset! I dont know why they couldnt make the center center work if the factory is offset offset!!!!!!!!!!! Should be able to make it work?? Maybe not, but I would think there is a way.

Lastly, I thought it was 3 inch for sure. What size had your muffler guy been putting on it?

Sorry this probably my fault! I guess I posted the muffler numbers that magnaflow gave me for their kit. I guess I used assumption that it was the same factory set up, center/center! Can someone please confirm that has either replaced this or been under the truck??

Sorry Michael! Can you exchange your flowmaster?
Old November 16th, 2006, 1:43 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

I think I measured it at 2 5/8" but it was awhile back. Will try to look tomorrow. Will check the in/out placement.
Old November 16th, 2006, 1:49 AM
CF Beginner

biglg,

No big deal. I see where the problem started. The full cat back system uses a center/center muffler. Since you're replacing the entire exhaust with a full cat back they can use any muffler they want. I'm using my factory pipes so the muffler needs to be offset/offset. I've swapped out the muffler and removed the resonator but used all of the factory pipes with the exception of the chrome tip I added. I'm assuming PerformancePeddler will accept a return since the muffler was never installed and I still have the box.

Now, so we don't make the same mistake again, do we know for sure the size of the factory exhaust (2.5 in or 3in)? I know the cat back is 3in but we can't go by that.
Old November 16th, 2006, 1:53 AM
CF Beginner

73shark,

Thanks, that would be helpful. I would assume if it's 2 5/8 I'd want to go with the 3in muffler.

Does anyone who has more experience doing this than I do see a problem using a 3 in muffler with 2 5/8 pipes? That sounds like the logical choice over the 2.5 in version.

Quick Reply: Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade