Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2006, 2:03 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RE: Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade

Back when I used to put aftermarket mufflers/pipes on my cars, you could buy adapters to go from one diameter to another. Would have to check at an auto parts store to see if you still can.
Old November 16th, 2006, 2:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I know either the 2.5in or the 3in will work. My current Magnalfow fuffler is one or the other. The key to exhaust is to allow free air flow so I'd assume the 3 in version is the correction answer. I know my muffler guy has a machine to expand a pipe but can they reduce the size.

Any one?
Old November 16th, 2006, 2:25 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael,
Sorry about the issue again! I dont want to post wrong information, but I have a few ideas.

First, can your muffler guy expand the ends of the muffler if you got a 2.5 muffler? This would be if you need a slightly larger than 2.5 muffler.

I dont think there is anyone to make a pipe smaller without using an adapter pice. Take a 2.5 inch pipe, expan the end to 3 inches then you have a 2.5 adapter!

Seconly what you could do is keep the muffler you have! Just have your muffler shop take off your factory exhaust from cats back. Have them put on a new 3 inch tail pip and use the muffler you have. It will probably cost 100 or so but it would be worth it! It will be a fresh pipe, and 3 inch! Dont know if you like this idea as it will cost more than than just getting the muffler. But it will be cleaner and probably better performing!

Let me know what you find out and what you get done.

As for the comment about the factory exhaust being 2.5 or 3 inch i have ask this in several topics with no reply. I tried to measure once and I thought I got closer to 3 inches. Again, please wait until you know for sure. If I was in your situation I would jsut go with the cleaner option of a new tailpipe. Your factory one already is all choped up from the factory resonator being removed. Good luck! Keep me up to date!
Old November 16th, 2006, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

depending on what you guys are putting the muffler on to...

the OEM muffler on my '04 was center in, with dual out.... but the catch is that right behind the muffler is where the exhaust bent up to go over the axle... and the two oulets jointed back up into a single outlet. (???) the guy that did the work had to bend a pipe, and cut it to fit just right. That honestly took up a majority of the hour or so he worked on my Tahoe.

Mine is offset in, center out.
Old November 17th, 2006, 1:09 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Measured mine again tonite. Inlet pipe OD = 2.65" and inlet is in center of muffler. Outlet was tough cuz it was dark and the hanger is right there and the pipe bends, therefore the best I could do was 2.65"-2.75" and the outlet is offset to the outside. The muffler is very long and I suspect longer than most aftermarket ones. Therefore there would be room for adapters to fit in the space left after you cut out the original if you decide to do it your self.
Old November 17th, 2006, 2:36 AM
CF Active Member

I ordered a Flowmaster 700 series today through a friend of mine. I'm interested to see how it changes the sound.

~digdug
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

I recently (month or so) had a 12259 Magnaflow muffler installed on my 06' Sierra. Sounds great at takeoff and half to open throttle. Very quiet at idle and highway speed. ( 75mph @ 2000rpm ) I am not sure of any real horsepower gain without a dyno. But for 80 bucks plus 45 to install (Welded or sleeved)I couldnt go wrong. No expierence with cat back systems, always seemed like a waste. Mandrel bent pipes arent really neccessary with typical OEM hp. I am thinking of installing the 12289 (little longer) Magnaflow on my wifes 4x4 Tahoe 5.3l. Her truck is geared lower and I am worried it would be a little to loud for her.
Old December 14th, 2006, 2:39 AM
CF Beginner

Any body have Borla on their Tahoe? I have Borla on my Corvette and love it! I've got a basic dual straight out the back on my Tahoe...with some knock off muffler from a local shop...I think it is similar to a Flowmaster. Just wondering if anybody hase a Borla setup on their Tahoe out there?? I know on the Corvette Forum, the majority of people go with Borla.
Old May 17th, 2007, 9:45 AM
CF Active Member

Go with the complete Magnaflow Exhaust System: http://shop.smmenterprises.com/index...;ProdID=510956
You get much better quality, fitment, looks, and performance, than any other kit or exhaust job...
Old May 18th, 2007, 2:23 PM
CF Active Member

I replaced the OEM muffler (kept the resonator and stock piping)with the Magnaflow muffler about three days after I purchased the vehicle. Our neighbour has the Flow Master and it is pretty loud (which I like); however, it sounds rough. The Magnaflow is more smooth and refined sounding.As someone else has mentioned, I too would like morerumble during idle...

Quick Reply: Full cat-back vs muffler upgrade