Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Gas Mileage Sucks

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas Mileage Sucks

i now this is a stupid question but what is the size of our gas tanks

25? 30?
Old April 20th, 2007, 1:01 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

26!
Old April 21st, 2007, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

This is just my opinion here, but I think as long as GM insists on running 3:73 or 4:10 gears AND giving the 5.3 the capability to run corn gas - read bigger injectors and the capability to feed more fuel to the engine, AND is sticking with the present tranny, then us tahoe owners will never get into the 20's for mileage. Unless of course we stick to 55mph. I would like to cruise downthe highway at 75-85 and keep the rmp range under 2000 rpm. But you watch your inst mpg drop as soon as you push up the speed, and rpms over 2000.
I personally would like the choice of 3:42 or 3:55 gears and a 5 or 6 speed modern transmission. I don't tow anything, don't go off road, infact I struggle with gravel roads& dirt roads are out of the question.I don't need or want the steeper gears, but thats what we get. I've actually considered a gearvendors overdrive.
So wer'e stuck with the gas mileage.
And I'm sorry but I can't drive 55!
I know...I have a giant blvd crzr that I can't stand gettin dirty, but I think I'm in good company here.
Hey GM...are you listening???? new tranny? choice of gears?

Old April 21st, 2007, 2:37 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Badger I have 850 miles on my truck with a5.3L flex fuel and 3.42 gears and my little computer thingy tells me my best average in town driving like my moms mom is a whopping 13.4. I haven't had a chance to get on the highway yet but I sure hope something changes. I wanted the 3.73 for a little peppier pickup butmy the wife was all about the gas and it is really her truck so for the speed I'll just strap in the cobra and go for a spin. But I really do hope the milage increases..........also the numbers are from the computer not the actual mileage vs. gallons. I havent had to put gas in it yet and shes resets the trip before i can get to it, but im sure its not that far off.
Old April 21st, 2007, 4:00 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"e"stated what I was going to reply.

Put some 3:42's in your Tahoe badger and watch the gas mileage go down! 4:10s actually produce the best MPG on the 07 Tahoes.
Old April 21st, 2007, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

13.4 in town? thats not bad, would like to see what you get on the highway.
I'm not buyin the theory that higher rpms are gonna give you better gas mileage.
Perhaps its tied to the small V8 working harder all the time, no grunt, like you might get with a 5.7 or larger?? who knows
Every single new Chevy truck I have had - 94, 97, 99 pickups would get pretty good mileage if you kept the rpm's down under 2000 on the hwy. The new style 99 I had would run 21-22 mpg on the hwy. My 01,03,07 tahoes have never come close to what the pickups would get.What a dissapointmentit was to go to a Tahoe getting 16 on a good day.
I know this all depends on driver habits etc, but c'mon, how many people are using these things for "baby carriages", or single maybe two occupants at a time?
And another thing, trust me, stuff a few tanks of corn gas in and see what you get around town.
I ran it in my '03 and finally quit using the junk when it wasaveraging 7 mpg around town.
The whole point is, these are never gonna be gas misers, I would just like the choice of gears.... not everybody is using these for tow rigs.