Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HELP! - Hard Water Spots from Sprinkler - How to remove??

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! - Hard Water Spots from Sprinkler - How to remove??

We are currently vacationing in NC. The sprinkler system at our rental property has covered my truck with white spots (which i think is hard water stains). I didnt notice it until a day later (after it sat in the sun all day). What can I do to remove the stains without damaging the truck? Someone mentioned using white vinegar to remove the stains, is this safe for the paint/clearcoat on an 07?
Am I screwed?
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP! - Hard Water Spots from Sprinkler - How to remove??

wash it all good first, use a soft towel, shamie something like that, mix some vinager and water, say 1/4 cup vinager to a 5 gallon bucket........you dont need much usually.....should do the trick, works great on glss as well, it wont strip the clearcoat, its vinager you eat it in food, it is not dangerous, this works for me, I have hard water in my place and everytime I wahs it, I use one of those plastic things cant remember what the are called and wipe it with a shamie and vinager and water, do glass, everything on the car, even chrome....
Old July 5th, 2007, 2:23 PM
CF Active Member

thanks for the info.
the spots have been on there for a couple of days...is this something that needs to be taken care of quickly? Could more damage be done by leaving it until i come back from vacation (another week away)? I would rather not have to detail my truck while on vacation, but if the spots will continue to damage the truck, i will get it done today.
Old July 5th, 2007, 3:34 PM
CF Pro Member

water spots are generally caused by calcium and chlorine and thing in the water, so yes the longer you leave it the worse it will be, I have seen it so bad people had to use razor blades to get off windows, but that is extreme....wash it couple times use a good car soap...meguires, or something like that,......sprinkler water will be worse as it is city water prolly and not filtered.......

If it is bad use dishsoap to wash it but BEWARE DISHSOAP is an AWSOME wax stripper for a car, so you will prolly have to re wax it after if you use dishsoap, but dishsoap will prolly get rid of the water spaots easier
Old July 5th, 2007, 4:17 PM
CF Junior Member

After a vinegar bath, if they are still showing, use a clay bar and then a complete polish and wax. Your finish will look better than new then.
Old July 5th, 2007, 5:05 PM
CF Pro Member

yes clay bars work well as well, for almost anything, tree sap, tar, road crap....
Old July 5th, 2007, 6:44 PM
CF Active Member

damn, this sounds like quite a job.....not something i had planned to do while on vacation...
i wont be home until the 14th.....not sure what to do, other than do it while im here....

Old July 5th, 2007, 7:12 PM
CF Pro Member

take 10 minutes to wash it and about 15 to go over it with vinager and water, the clay bar and poi=lish can wait, the vinagar should get the spots off for you, or most of them, thebad ones wait till you get back maybe.....DONT PARK IN THE SUN IF YOU CAN HELP IT.... it will bake the crap on the paint and make it harder
Old July 5th, 2007, 8:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Another thing, if you are just concerned about the glass, then you can use 0000 steel wool and some windex. Then follow up with some type of glass wax or treatment like Rain-X. Your glass will then stay unbelievably clean, clear and spot free.
Old July 6th, 2007, 8:58 AM
CF Active Member

well im waiting to hear from the rental agency...I am trying to convince them that they should pay for full exterior detail...wash/wax...
If the refuse, then I will go with the advice listed here...its gonna be hot and sunny for the next week here in NC..so I cant just let it sit and bake.

Quick Reply: HELP! - Hard Water Spots from Sprinkler - How to remove??