Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HELP! - Hard Water Spots from Sprinkler - How to remove??

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2007, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! - Hard Water Spots from Sprinkler - How to remove??

What is a clay bar? I washed my wife's car today but I didn't really have the right towels for dryingit so it dried with spots. (Bath towels and "microfiber" towels both left white lint all over the black car so I had to re-wash part of it). The water spots don't sound as bad as what's beingdescribed here though. I tried waxing over the spots but they still show. Suggestions? Thanks.
Old July 8th, 2007, 7:46 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

A clay bar is just that. It's a chunk of clay similar to modeling clay. For all I know it may be modeling clay. Meguiars and Mothers both have it and I'm sure there are others. To use it, you flatten it out into about a 5"-6" circle, spray something like Meguiars Quik Detailer on an area to lubricate it and then rub the clay around on the paint. If it feels like it is dragging, then you don't have enuf spray on. Anyway after doing this, your paint will feel as smooth as a baby's behind. You'll notice that the clay starts getting darker as you use it. That's the crap it's pulling off your paint.

I use microfiber towels on a black Tahoe and never have noticed any lint. Now white cotton towels are another story. Use a California duster to remove that lint.
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the explanation, Shark. So the fact that the clay gets darker as it's pulling crap off the paint doesn't mean it's damaging or removing the paint? I really only want to remove light white spots, not the actual paint. I guess that goes without saying but I just want to make sure it's safe for what I need it for. Thanks again.
Old July 9th, 2007, 2:32 PM
CF Active Member

The clear coat will protect your paint. The clay bar will pull off all the crap sitting on top of your clear coat. If you take your car to a good detailer, 9 times out of 10 they will clay bar your entire car before doing any waxing or sealing.
Old July 21st, 2007, 9:29 PM
CF Active Member

just an update...
I had my car detailed professionally. The clay bar treatment removed the water spots from the vehicle, they then waxed and polished and the truck looks great....except for... my venture shield clear bra is damaged by the water spotting...and will need to be replaced...
So Im $150 into a full exterior detail..and possibly another $700 to have the clear bra replaced...
guess i will be taking this up with the rental agency!!
Thanks for all the replies..