Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Black Paint and Water Spots etc.

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2008, 11:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Paint and Water Spots etc.

I am going to look at a 2003 Suburban Z71 on Saturday. It is black. It looks from the pics that were snet to me that it may have water spots on the paint and a few small rock chips. Is it possible to get the spots off? Will a detailer know what to do? They are asking a reasonable price with only 42K miles and the rest of a warranty. It is everything I am looking for (I think-if it is as nice as the guy says it is) except the color-i was looking for silver or pewter but...It will have to live outside and I want it to look nice.
Any input here would be appreciated.
Old June 13th, 2008, 8:08 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black Paint and Water Spots etc.

Water spots could be the result of the dealer hosing off vehicle and letting air dry instead of towel drying. I have black Tahoe and air drying is a no-no. As for rock chips, I purchased a bottle of touch-up paint at the dealer to handle those. The trick with touch-up paint is to apply in incremental steps apply a thin layer, let dry, and re-apply if needed.
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The water spots can probably be polished out but then you will probably have swirl marks its one of those evils of black paint. My first car a pontiac Frieo (no laughing please) was black (I only have hadwhite vehicles since then, but white has its problems too) and I have had good results with Duragloss polish
http://www.duragloss.com/
Old June 13th, 2008, 9:35 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

If they are truly waterspots, then what the others have said will work. However if it's etched into the clearcoat a la chemical fallout, then it will take more effort.