Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help! : Nav not showing correct location

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2007, 12:14 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! : Nav not showing correct location

Need some help here...

I installed the lockpick GMX320 and I don't know if it's happened as a result of the install, but now my navigation location is showing my vehicle's actual location to be two blocks over from where I actually am. Has anyone had this happen? Onstar gets the right info, but not the vehicle. Thoughts? Is it the lockpick? Did I F something up?

Also, the "GPS" icon has a red line through it on an angle. Does this mean anything?
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Help! : Nav not showing correct location

As I understand it the Lockpick allows you to view DVDs while in motion (and other locked functions) by setting to zero the Vehicle Speed Sensor data going into the Nav system. Since the Nav doesn't think the car is moving everything is unlocked.

It sounds like your first dip switch is set incorrectly. This enables the lock pick function all the time. Since your GPS uses the VSS data to help compute location, you'll see the issue you describe. Disconnect the lockpick from the system, flip that first DIP switch, reconnect, and you should be all set.

The installation instructions have the settings for all the DIP switches, for future reference.
Old October 7th, 2007, 8:38 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The GPS unit can take well over an hour to re-initialize (key- ON, driving around) after it is installed, the unit is not ready to navigate until the red line is gone from the GPS icon.

Old October 7th, 2007, 9:06 PM
CF Active Member

Why on earth would it take over an hour to re-initialize? I've owned quite a few GPS systems, both handheld and built into vehicles, and I've never seen anything like that. Many years ago, when they were just low-rez monochrome displays, sometimes they'd take upwards of 15 minutes, but over an hour? Ridiculous.
Old October 7th, 2007, 9:18 PM
CF Active Member

Good news, I took ZX's advice and spent some time driving around. After not that long the GPS corrected itself and we're now all good. I got nervous given i just installed the lockpick...which is also working perfect.

Thanks for the replies!
Old October 18th, 2007, 7:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Im having this same problem. I just bought an LT3 last night, and put the nav CD in as I was leaving the dealer. I figured it would take a while for the NO GPS icon to go away, but after driving for over an hour in traffic, the NAV will not give the correct location. It says I am in Maryland, when I really am in NY !

I have not done ANY mods to the truck yet, as I have only had it for one night.

Anyone have any ideas? The dealer did install an alarm, the one that works with the factory remotes. Could the installer have forgetten to plug something in ?

Paul
Old October 18th, 2007, 8:08 AM
CF Active Member

Hey Pablo,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the purchase. Try a day or so to see if the GPS is able to catch up to you. I know it took a bit before it found me.Also, try just driving around the same block a couple times. This is what I did and it caught up to me pretty quickly.
If you try Onstar they'll have your exact location and say that you need to refer to the dealership. But before you go to the dealership, try the circle thing and maybe wait a day or two (depending on how much you drive it).
Hope things work out!
Old October 18th, 2007, 9:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks Gix ! I will try that in a little while and see what comes up. Then its right to the dealer, the NAV was the reason I bought the tahoe !

P.S. The truck had no nav disc in it when I bought it, so the dealer took it out of another truck. I ended up getting a 2.0 release to start with, so it puts me a step ahead on the updates. Don't know if that's good or bad yet with all the stuff I hear about 2.0.

Thank you for the post, and thanks to everyone who helps on this forum. This is my first time using forums, and it has really helped me out with a lot of topics.

Paul
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Gentlemen,

No luck. I drove in a circle around a city block about 10 times. I then took the 45 minute trip to the dealer, and as I pulled up to the dealer, the "INSERT NAV DISK" icon illuminated. Of course I never took the disk out. . . . .

The dealer tried three other NAV Disks, but nonw of them worked. I have to make an appointment to go back, but who the heck wants to sit at a dealer while they troubleshoot a truck which had 2.9 miles and 0 hours on it !

Does anyone know if I reset the truck, i.e. disconnecting the battery cable, would do anything ?

Paul
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:53 PM
CF Active Member

Sorry Paul, I was really hoping that would work! No ideas from here on in... maybe if you send ZX a pm he can look into this for you (he's the local GM expert around here)...he's the one that responded above