Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HELP: Power driver seat acting crazy!

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2014, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Power driver seat acting crazy!

I have an 04 Tahoe z71. It has aftermarket DVD players in the headrests. When I purchased it the drivers side DVD was unplugged. We took it back to the dealer and they plugged it in. Ever since we did that, the seat moves of it's own accord. When you put the key in the seat goes completely forward. When you take the key out, it goes all the way forward, effectively smashing me into the steering wheel. About a month ago it stopped going all the way back. Then the switched started working opposite: push it backward the seat goes forward. Now, the seat only goes back an inch and I can barely get in my car. It's stuck so close to the steering wheel that if it gets any worse I won't be able to drive it. Also, the seat heat works randomly. I just turned off the seat recall setting, but that didn't change anything.

What do I need to fix? Is it the switch itself? Or a software reprogram? I have no Chevy dealerships near me. Please advise me of what to do before I can't drive my car!
Old December 15th, 2014, 5:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Same thing happened on my '01. Can't say for certain what triggered it, but all of a sudden it would move on its own. No rhyme or reason. Had to disconnect power to the seat until we fixed it.

Fortunately, my buddy works for GM. He brought over his laptop with some diagnostic programs, and determined it was a bad control module. Replaced it. Problem solved. It's located under the seat. Can't seem to find the part number. Sorry.
Old December 15th, 2014, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
. Had to disconnect power to the seat until we fixed it.
Thanks for the response!

How do you disconnect power to the seat?

And, were you able to move the seat back into a good position when it had no power? I guess that's my main question at the moment: how the heck to I get the seat back so I can drive and not have my nose on the windshield?
Old December 15th, 2014, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

does it have the memory seat option?

there is a connector under the seat that would shut everything off. it also will set off the airbag light if you have dual stage airbags.
I'm not sure if there are fuses as it may be powered by the memory seat module.
Old December 15th, 2014, 9:54 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Another possibility is that when the DVD player was installed, some wiring got messed up.
Old December 16th, 2014, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
does it have the memory seat option?

there is a connector under the seat that would shut everything off. it also will set off the airbag light if you have dual stage airbags.
I'm not sure if there are fuses as it may be powered by the memory seat module.
It does have the memory seat option. Fob 2 is broken. Fob 1, I'm not sure about. I thought it was the battery so I just replaced it, but it still barely works. It unlocks if you stand right next to the car, and sometimes it locks. Of course, my three year old can hit the panic button from the kitchen and that works...

I just turned the seat recall options off. I wish I had known that existed two years ago when the seat started acting crazy.

I'm about to sell the car so obviously I can't sell it with the seat slammed forward.

If I "turn everything off" as you say, would I be able to move the seat back?
Old December 17th, 2014, 7:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

have you tried resetting the memory seat options using the button on the door panel?
the fob has nothing to do with the seat positions. the key is what is used to recognize driver 1 and 2 settings.

you asked how to power the seat off...disconnecting the connectors will make it completely inoperative.
Old December 18th, 2014, 6:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson123
If I "turn everything off" as you say, would I be able to move the seat back?
I'd check/clean all the connectors under the seat to see if the problems clears up. Loose or dirty plugs will cause all kinds of weird problems.
If that doesn't help, disconnect the motor plug under the seat. (I'm assuming it's under the seat.)
Here's the wiring diagram, look at page 3.
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=80923

Looks like the wires for the forward/back motor are pins C & D (Red 284 & Black 285). You have to apply power to these pins to get it to move after you disconnect the plug.
Old December 19th, 2014, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I messed with the memory options. Set them to the same setting, but that didn't do anything. My husband pulled it apart and fiddled with the wires. I think he ended up using some grease (I think) and once he put that on there it started working! I have it set to my liking and have the recall off, so I'm not planning on moving the seat....like ever. Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate it!