Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2020 | 6:44 PM
Banned

Default stabilitrak issues

I am shopping for a new scanner/ programmer that will lead in the right direction . with a diagnostic code . my current scanner is old and does not read anything but engine codes
Old October 18th, 2020 | 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rcorn1031
I am shopping for a new scanner/ programmer that will lead in the right direction . with a diagnostic code . my current scanner is old and does not read anything but engine codes
If you've gone through the years of postings, then I am sure you've noted the real issue is that it appears the default message and condition of driving by GM on at most of their vehicles is to stabilitrak / traction control. Even if you were to take to a dealer, in my, and too many others experiences, too often it is also hit or miss for the dealers, and us to determine specifically the root cause. You may go down the rabbit hole of replacing parts, many times indicated by the codes that do show, that aren't the "final" fix.
The following users liked this post:
Blazeddiamonds (January 21st, 2021)
Old October 19th, 2020 | 3:01 PM
Banned

Default To Christopher St Louis

Thanks for your insight and advice .
I replaced both front wheel bearings in 2018 shortly after I bought the truck .
I suppose they could be bad again time to jack it up and check runout and freeplay if any .
Money was tight then so I bought less expensive units . As usual I gambled and lost .
Time will tell once new scanner tool gets ordered and arrives .
Old November 8th, 2020 | 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Venancio Barraza
who can help me with service StabiliTrak and traction control service and repaired the engine and still the problem
My issue with all 3 messages coming up went away 99% of the time after switching gas stations.

My problem was this message only popping up in the warmer months but never happened a single time from November through March every winter, which led me to think the gasoline could be the issue.

Once I switched to a different fuel station, the messages came up for about a month, making me assume it took awhile for the old fuel to be completely gone.

After a month of different fuel, the message never showed up again for over a year. It happened only a couple times the following year and not even 5 times this year, when it used to happened several times a day from May through September.
Old June 1st, 2021 | 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Silverado 1500 issues

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
StabiliTrak Indicator Light: If the warning light does not come on then, have it fixed so it will be ready to warn you if there is a problem. If it stays on, or comes on when you are driving, there may be a problem with your StabiliTrak system and your vehicle may need service. When this warning light is on, the system is off and will not limit wheel spin. Adjust your driving accordingly.

This light will also flash when the StabiliTrak system is active. If the StabiliTrak system warning light comes on and stays on for an extended period of time when the system is turned on, your vehicle needs service.

The traction control part of StabiliTrak can be turned off by pressing and releasing the StabiliTrak button if both systems (traction control and StabiliTrak) were previously on. To disable both traction control and StabiliTrak, press and hold the button for five seconds.

Traction control and StabiliTrak can be turned on by pressing and releasing the StabiliTrak button if not automatically shut off for any other reason.

When the TCS or StabiliTrak system is turned off, the StabiliTrak light and the appropriate TCS off or StabiliTrak off message will be displayed on the DIC to warn the driver. Your vehicle will still have brake-traction control when traction control is off, but will not be able to use the engine speed management system.

If the StabiliTrak and/or Traction Control are not operating properly, I encourage you to take your vehicle in for inspection. A certified technician will be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue at home ?
Old June 10th, 2021 | 7:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Different causes.

Originally Posted by gilstone
Every time I start my '07 Burban (even sitting at idle) the bell starts chiming and the triangle sign and the warning reads "service stabilitrak" then "traction control (off)" activates within a few seconds. This keeps going on and off as I am driving and when its in the off position the trans shifts gears very hard. Looking trough the "www.chevroletforum.com" site, I can see that this had been a problem in the past with 2003 and up, and there are many people talking about this issue with their trucks, but I have not come across anyone who can give the answer on how to resolve this problem. HELP!!!

Thank you!
I replaced the terminal resistor (behind rear axle) and brake switch. That fixed my problem.
Old June 26th, 2021 | 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default My problem is only the warning light and message

Originally Posted by lah1998
I am having the same problem except my truck isn't shifting rough and it only does it when you are stopped. My stabilitrack is off and my traction is off. They turned off on their own. I can not get them to reingage. While driving the light doesnt come on and the message goes away. It is only when I am stopped and start going again. Yesterday, it jerked like it was engaging only once each time i stopped. Please let me know if you have any ideas of how to fix this problem.
I have a 2011 Silverado and my traction control light comes on when I put in into gear to reverse or drive. When I start the truck nothing is on. No ABS light. Only traction control light. Message says to service traction control and stability track systems. No other problems. I also had 2 sensors in my TPMS go out and had that light on first. I finally got those replaced yesterday and that light is off but the traction control light still comes on. I have tried to turn it off and on with the button inside the truck. A message comes on saying its off when I press it then goes away when I press it again. Whisk makes me think that it's on even though the light is on. I have no traction or transmission issues while driving. Sometimes it has a rough start but runs fine. The dealership wants to charge me $99 just to run a check. I already paid $130 for the repair yesterday and I have done a spark plug replacement an oil change and an air filter replacement. All the information I read says everything except why mine is on. Only wheni put it in gear and it doesnt go off. I can't get my trucks inspection to get the registration because of this stupid light. I don't have the funds to pay $99 plus replace a few things that do t really need to be replaced to find out what's wrong. I need a diy fix. I am a moderate auto repair diy person. I've been doing my own oil changes for 5 years on all of our vehicles and I've done most every other repair I had the ability to do myself including the AC condenser replacement in my GMC. Saved me $1400 .

note: I dont have much faith in the dealership since they cost me $2000 in unnecessary repairs 5 years ago. Which led me to start doing my own repairs.im not opposed to going to the dealership if I cant do it myself because I am limited on what I can or will do. I wont do my own brakes or any kind of splicing of wires for anything to fix an issue. I've been told already that it could be one of like 6 diff sensors, ect. Any help would've be much appreciated. I am very broke and have a limited amount of repair cash set aside I can't afford to spend it on a $99 diagnostic test that will end up leading to other repairs that wont fix it anyway. I'd just have to start over to get funds to fix something else .

Last edited by jenfox360; June 26th, 2021 at 1:47 PM.
Old June 26th, 2021 | 5:59 PM
CF Junior Member

All my Stabilitytrac problems were related to bad wheel speed sensors
The following users liked this post:
jenfox360 (June 26th, 2021)
Old June 26th, 2021 | 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Speed sensors

Thank you for letting me know. I'll check those first. Has anyone had any luck with just cleaning them? I see a lot of info on how to do it and some say it may be the cause of the light being on. I do live on dirt roads and drive them daily. Thanks for yalls help! I appreciate any advice.
Old July 3rd, 2021 | 6:52 AM
CF Pro Member

Full function code reader, one that can read all 4 GM code families is needed to work on these ''computers on tires''.
Step one in any shop is to read the codes. If it's a bad wheel sensor codes will tell you which one.
A good scan tool is the most important tool, without one then throw away that socket set as you will be wasting time and money guessing on parts.

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control