Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2021, 10:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by repairman54
Full function code reader, one that can read all 4 GM code families is needed to work on these ''computers on tires''.
Step one in any shop is to read the codes. If it's a bad wheel sensor codes will tell you which one.
A good scan tool is the most important tool, without one then throw away that socket set as you will be wasting time and money guessing on parts.
I have the Innova Car Scan 1000 that works in conjunction with your cell phone and their free Repair solutions 2 app. The Car Scan 1000 plugs into the obd port and connects to the cellphone by bluetooth. It is full function for most cars. You can drive around and get real time data. $99 direct from Innova.

https://www.innova.com/products/cars...FeatureContent
Old August 29th, 2021, 8:24 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough shifting in 1 + 2

My 2007 Yukon is shifting rough in when I take off the rpms go up to 3 sometimes to 4 and shifts hard . I don't feel it it down shifting either . When the stable light traction control lights came on I pulled off the road and and let it sit for awhile . When I turned it back on the check engine light came on and then it said it was disabling two cylinders and lose if power . So I went across the street and pulled into a gas station and set under the shade . It was really hot that day. Waited a little while longer because I thought I was maybe going to really do some damage but I didn't really know what was going on . I just got the Yukon a few weeks earlier. So this was all new to me. So I get back on the rd. And the shifting is hard but it still goes and the temperatures are all good nothing seems to wrong except now it's doing this shifting thing . In a long ways from home out in the middle of nowhere and on my way to ridge crest watch seemed closer then going back home to Joshua Tree. I make it there but not without almost dieing on this rd. With passing big trucks and my car not wanting to go up hills barley making it. Very scary. I also made it home but I had someone else drive. I just spent $13,000 dollars on this car and I'm afraid to drive it . I don't know what's going to happen . The dealership said bring it in. So I'm having it towed tomorrow. Do we will see. Wish me luck.

Old September 25th, 2021, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Tahoe p2176

Hello,
so my truck has been going in and out of limp mode for a while. And after having the codes read the only thing that pops up when read is idle position not learned. I’ve replaced the tps, the pedal assembly with the position sensor. And still have no luck of stabilitrak coming on and off. I drove the truck fine the whole week. Then yesterday afternoon it randomly threw its self into limp mode again. Turned it off cancelled our plans. Woke up and Today the truck is driving fine and doesn’t have a single light on the dash. Has any one experienced a issue of this sort?
thank you for your time.
Old October 10th, 2021, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jmcfarland
Okay, family of 5 here, we have been looking for a nice large 4 wd vehicle for a very long time and have had our eye on the chevy suburban for about 2 years. Our best friends have a 98 tahoe and love it. Anyways within a week of getting it the check engine came on, low oil came on, battery died and had to jump it 6 times before having it replaced. The dealership was wonderful at first they advised us we needed a new battery they paid for it to be replaced then within the week we had a misfire and low oil light come on .they said oh chevy are known for burning oil nothing can be done just put oil in every few 1000 miles.lol we were okay with that being as we looooove the truck! Then we left. That was the 4th time I had to drive there within 2 weeks of owning the car. Then we got the traction control and stabilitrak signal come on and misfire code from onstar. So they once again were nice for us to come in and they said it just needed a tune up! So that's what they did. Now a bout 4 weeks later we are getting stabilitrak lights, traction control lights and very hard shifting all at the same time and oil light for low oil. Please tell me why it was all at the same time??? Then we replaced the quart and slowly drove home and it did shift better before we pulled in the driveway. I love my chevy so much but I pray chevy can stand behind its cars and not make a large family like mine pay out a ton for a good dependable vehicle. All this happened at the same i'm talking like within ten minutes! Any ideas??? Thanks so much

GOD IS SO GREAT!!!
did u ever find out what was wrong cuz my suburban is doing the exact same thing?
Old October 11th, 2021, 7:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Folks, I'm sorry to say you have entered into the deeply mysterious realm of GM computer default. If you can afford the time (you may notice there are 52 pages of in this thread) you may want go back and read through the years of entries, and what some have done, thought they got it, then didn't.
The key is; as far as the computer programming goes, the default position for dirt, broken wire, loose connection, just about anything you can think of going wrong related to anyone of the myriad sensors goes, the stabilitrak / traction control warning you are experiencing, will come up.
You will need to have a professional level OBD reading of the system, and many times that will not be it either.
Please don't go down the rabbit hole of reading codes, replacing parts. You will need to have someone very savvy with the system, and the program to have a chance.

I've owned many GM products, a couple very high-end, and faced these issues.

Now I by other brands.

Best of luck
Old October 18th, 2021, 6:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts

Every brand is a computer on wheels. Every brand needs it's system scanned via a scan tool. Every brand is complex. The more expensive the brand name the more expensive the repairs are.
GM is no different, try a BMW or Benz if you want a eye opener.
Old October 21st, 2021, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

So i got the dreaded "Service Stabilitrak/Service Traction Control" on my 2008 Suburban, along with the simultaneous appearance of the ABS and traction control dash lights. Bought an ABS scanner after reading the stealership horror stories on here (my personal experiences aren't much better, not to mention the fact stealerships sometimes talk down to DIYers these days). Got a code of right rear wheel speed sensor. Bought the OEM replacement off Amazon and replaced on driveway without removing wheel or suspending vehicle. Seems to be fixed!
Old October 24th, 2021, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Talking

Believe it or not I fixed my intermittent Stabilitrac /ABS/Trailer fault by changing the brake switch. I has 2 switches in it on for brake lights the other ABS. Don't ask How I found it but but searched for cheapest fix and hit it first time. Has not come on in a monthe since I changed it . 5 min. Job. I did have a code for ABS after fix cleared it all is well.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

someone please help my traction control light and stability light been on now transmission was in wreck but fixed what was damage was very little only part i had to replace was radiator was driving down road and transmission stop working no gears just park put in drive and it dose nothing i added more fluid and it work for three mins then went out agian ive repolace transmission two years ago its been fine until two days ago i dont drive cray or high speeds and i constantly cjeck leveals my stability light and tc light have been on since before wreck and ive drove it many time after wreck shifted fine no sign of transmission giving me problems a little knocking all ive herd but all levals have been fine it just hit 3rd gear then quietly went out no warning no reverse no first not even the low gears nothing
Old November 3rd, 2021, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

so before wreck i replaced my hydroboost dont even get me going on that the whole system is held on by a clip insane neways yes i replaced my brake switch now every now and the brake light stays on strange steering works and brakes i did it myself thanks to google single mom could not afford mechanic or trust one out of ten u can neways i hate fixing cars i am a painter not mechanic but google turn s me into 0ne haha hats off to those who do it everyday no way more power to u at least you really cant be replaced just wish yall lower cost to repair cars ...what would cause transmission to quit working with no warning maybe this small litttle plug i found undone thought it was afog light plug but not sure small with tywo holes maybe two wires not sure but it dont reach fog lights and i noticed the air line on back tire clip came offf i fixed it i thought maybe not the right way or clip but that would not cause transmission to just stop no hard shifting or anything it just stoped

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control