Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2013, 8:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Avalanche
Speaking from experience, 99% chance the scanner is gonna indicate a misfire. This by itself not very helpful - many things can cause a misfire. Does the problem go away at all or is it all the time? Does your Tahoe have AFM? My problem was caused by one of the AFM lifters sticking open - causing no compression - hence the misfire. Dealer replaced all of the lifters on that side of the motor. Weeks later same problem returned, in the end they wound up changing the plugs - problem solved.
I just had all the lifters on the pass side replaced for the same reason. Not too long after that I put a tune on my Burb and got rid of AFM completely. It never contributed to better fuel economy anyway and AFM is pretty much worthless from what I've seen on my Burb. This brings back the question, why does this stupid stabilitrak message pop when a lifter(s) goes bad???
Old July 18th, 2013, 9:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Avalanche
Speaking from experience, 99% chance the scanner is gonna indicate a misfire. This by itself not very helpful - many things can cause a misfire. Does the problem go away at all or is it all the time? Does your Tahoe have AFM? My problem was caused by one of the AFM lifters sticking open - causing no compression - hence the misfire. Dealer replaced all of the lifters on that side of the motor. Weeks later same problem returned, in the end they wound up changing the plugs - problem solved.
The question is, for how long? Iridium plugs should last a while unless they are getting oil fouled and then it doesn't matter what kind of plug is used. The other thing is to keep an eye on oil consumption. I hoped they worked the bugs out with AFM as they still use it on the new models that just came out. If they didn't, then there will be some unhappy customers down the road.
Old July 18th, 2013, 9:31 AM
CF Active Member

They call it Variable Valve Timing now so I'm suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure that it's new and improved Name:  laugh.gif
Views: 11440
Size:  797 Bytes
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 91Caprice
They call it Variable Valve Timing now so I'm suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure that it's new and improved
From the Chevrolet site for the new 2014 trucks:

• ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT

In low-demand situations when full engine power is not needed, Active Fuel Management deactivates cylinders, effectively turning a V-6 or V-8 EcoTec3 engine into a fuel-sipping four cylinder<sup>7</sup>. When it senses the need for full power, AFM instantly re-engages all cylinders.
    AFM deactivates cylinders, effectively turning an EcoTec3 engine into a fuel-sipping four cylinder.
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
CF Active Member

d'oh....disregard I was thinking of something else and VVT is completely different than AFM LOL Thank you for the correction of my temporary brain fart
Old July 18th, 2013, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Stabilitrak and Hard Gear Shift Problem

Been looking at past posts...Has anyone figured out this root cause for the traction control warning coming on, causing the transmission to shift very HARD? Has anyone had the problem resolved? What was done to fix it and how much was the total repairs?

I have a 2007 Silverado, 6.0L, the Service Traction control/Stabilitrak warning appears and causes the truck to shift out hard into 2nd gear and a little softer into 3rd. I had it serviced/diagnosed and got codes 0011 and 0521 fixed/replaced (oil pressure and cam actuator sensors). My engine light just came on again and I expect the Stabilitrak warning will come on and begin to hard shift. Any ideas or experience to resolve this issue? Dealer said it should have fixed the problem.
Old July 18th, 2013, 3:13 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by MSerna
Been looking at past posts...Has anyone figured out this root cause for the traction control warning coming on, causing the transmission to shift very HARD? Has anyone had the problem resolved? What was done to fix it and how much was the total repairs?

I have a 2007 Silverado, 6.0L, the Service Traction control/Stabilitrak warning appears and causes the truck to shift out hard into 2nd gear and a little softer into 3rd. I had it serviced/diagnosed and got codes 0011 and 0521 fixed/replaced (oil pressure and cam actuator sensors). My engine light just came on again and I expect the Stabilitrak warning will come on and begin to hard shift. Any ideas or experience to resolve this issue? Dealer said it should have fixed the problem.
It could be a completely different code. Have the code read and that'll lead you to what could be the issue. Right before I had my lifters replaced I also got a 0521 code. Hopefully that isn't a sign to what you could be facing as well.
Old July 18th, 2013, 3:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by MSerna

It's a default condition created when certain errors are reported in the ECM. The computer is making the car behave like that. Fix the underlying problem and it will go away. IMO, this mode is used to get owners to come into the dealer for service. Like 91 Caprice said, get a scanner on the car and see what codes come back.
Old July 18th, 2013, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ponch
It's a default condition created when certain errors are reported in the ECM. The computer is making the car behave like that. Fix the underlying problem and it will go away. IMO, this mode is used to get owners to come into the dealer for service. Like 91 Caprice said, get a scanner on the car and see what codes come back.

Makes a lot of sense...I have repaired the code issues now twice and my "engine light" came on again yesterday. I am planning to submit a complaint to corporate Chevrolet on the costs I have incurred to date on this...it will be interesting to see how much they care about their long-standing customers.
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM
CF Active Member

Good luck with that. I wouldn't get my hopes up that you see much response back from GM.

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control