Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hoping for the advice of Northerners

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2022, 1:47 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hoping for the advice of Northerners

Hello! Longtime lurker looking some advice from those who have experienced rust on their GMT800s (especially Suburbans)

Background: My wife and I just bought our second and our families' 6th GMT800 Suburban - a 2006 Base 4WD with the brake/trailer options. It's a one family owner truck with 84k miles - always here in Phoenix, AZ and doesn't have a spot of rust on it. It's only real issues are bad tie rods and fading on the rear hatch (both of which will be fixed shortly). We have always lived in AZ but are planning to move to New Hampshire or Vermont this spring and hope to soon start our family somewhere where it doesn't reach 120 degrees in the summer. As such, we swapped our old 2001 2WD Burb for the new 4WD with traction control.

I am doing an overly thorough 100k service on the truck (which has fortunately been well maintained). I'm hoping we can have an uneventful cross country drive and maybe a year or two of reduced maintenance while we set up our new lives. As a part of this, I am going to thoroughly rustproof as best I can using a combination of paint, CRC 06026 and 3M Cavity Wax.

Advice request: For those of you who have owned your trucks in snowy and salty areas, if you could turn back time what areas would you be sure to hit with rust prevention? We have owned all of ours in Arizona. So, while we're well versed in the engine/trans cooling and AC issues, we have no experience with the way they rust. Given how hard it was to find this clean of a GMT800, I don't want to miss my chance to keep it nice. Our plan is that this one will stay as the family hauler for quite some time.

Thank you!!