Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How to hookup power to a transmission temp gauge?

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2010, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to hookup power to a transmission temp gauge?

I need to install a temp gauge for my tranny. Probably right under the dashboard. I need the + wire from the ignition and the power line for the lights (for dimming the gauge).<o></o>
Is there a convenient place like a plug or wires under the dashboard?<o></o>

Thank you fore your help and have a nice day, walter<o></o>
Old August 12th, 2010, 8:11 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum Walter

What year of vehicle do you have as each hook up can be different....
Old August 12th, 2010, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum Walter

What year of vehicle do you have as each hook up can be different....
Sorry about this...

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/WALTER%7E3.APP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> We finally got our Chevy Tahoe LT – 5.3lt 2006 model with low mileage. We need to tow our trailer (Trail-lite crossover 189QB – 3500lb loaded).<o></o>
This is my first full size SUV - I love to ride this thing. Our first trip in the Georgia mountains was very exciting, my Tahoe did great.
I already bought a new transmission cooler and while trying to install it I just figured out - it has one already installed...

Next time, I read the forums first before ordering...
Still I want to install my temp gauge, just to be on the safe side…

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/WALTER%7E3.APP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Thank you for your time and support – have a nice day – walter and dianne.<o></o>
<o></o>

Last edited by santurinos; August 12th, 2010 at 9:49 AM. Reason: transmission cooler already installed...
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Give this link a try... put in your vehicles VIN number and you can find out what options your vehicle has including the transmission cooler what type of rear end it has and other options that can come in handy...
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=Enter+VIN

I know on my 07 Tahoe I have the DIC or driver information center button that displays my transmission temp, I am not familiar with the 06 or if it has the same display available... someone with and 06 model may be able to give more info so stay patient...
Old August 12th, 2010, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default tranny temperature sender installed and prewired ?

Is it possible to buy a aftermarket gauge and install it on the cluster? Is the tranny temperature sender installed and prewired regardless if whether or not the vehicle originally came with the tranny temp gauge or not?

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/WALTER%7E3.APP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Thank you for your support – have a nice day – walter and dianne.<o></o><o></o>
Old August 12th, 2010, 5:40 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

My daughter had a '03 Denali that had a tranny temp gauge in the lower left corner of the cluster. Not sure why unless it was part of a trailer pkg. She doesn't have anymore.

You might check w/ a knowledgeable Chevy dealer's service dept. and see if a factory gauge would work for you.

Of course you can always use a fuse tap to get ur 12V.
Old September 4th, 2010, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default trans temp guage

99-06 1/2 tons (1500)didn,t have trans temp & it wasn,t available as an option.3/4 tons,denali ahd trans temp guage.for my 04 1500 suburban I just replaced entire instrument cluster(actually used one from an escalade)as my tach & voltmeter quit(common problem-too many miles & generous motors said no to warranty request).it is just plug-n-play,nothing to wire in.
Old September 10th, 2010, 7:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i have the SS cluster on my '04 silverado. and i did the DIC on it too since it didnt come with that option which ment i had to change the steering wheel. very happy now though.
Old December 30th, 2010, 6:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by buzz9933
99-06 1/2 tons (1500)didn,t have trans temp & it wasn,t available as an option.3/4 tons,denali ahd trans temp guage.for my 04 1500 suburban I just replaced entire instrument cluster(actually used one from an escalade)as my tach & voltmeter quit(common problem-too many miles & generous motors said no to warranty request).it is just plug-n-play,nothing to wire in.
Hello Im looking to do the same thing as upgrade mt cluster to an Escalade. I have a 00 Suburban 1500. I understand that I can only use a 2002 escalade cluster correct? I cant seem to find any!