Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

I need some mechanical advice

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2015, 9:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some mechanical advice

I have a 2015 suburban ltz. I love the car except for one issue. When I bought it the steering wheel was off center.(looked like out of alignment). Steering is just off to the left. Anyway, didn't think much of it as I was changing the tires to an a/t tire. Well six or 8 alignments later, by 2 Chevy dealers and 1 by a tire shop, I ve gone to for decades, the alignment is still off to the left. It's like 5 degrees off. This is most noticeable when the car is moving. When the car is at a stop it seems to straighten out. The tires have been rotated front to back and there was no change. Any suggestions as where to look or to suggest?
Could the rack and pinion have a problem.

The last time I was at the dealership, they said there is nothing more they could do. The cars front end shows in the green.
Mechanics took it for a ride and state it's fine.
Old November 12th, 2015, 11:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF the steering wheel is not center while driving straight forward on a flat level road WITHOUT ANY forcing the steering wheel left or right to maintain straight forward direction - it can only be a toe adjustment. But if the rear wheel thrust angle is not 0 or very close than the front wheels need to be turned to compensate. thrust angle should be on the alignment data print out.

IF the steering wheel is not center while driving straight forward on a flat level road and the steering wheel is being turned left or right to maintain straight forward direction-then their is something forcing the vehicle right and the steering wheel needs to be turn left to compensate.
Possible causes:
1) tires (even new tires)
2) road is not level
3) alignment front caster
4) alignment front camber
5) altered suspension change in ride hight
6)The steering angle sensor does not require centering often. Centering of the steering angle sensor might be required after certain service procedures are performed. Some of these procedures are as follows:

• Wheel alignment
  • Steering gear replacement
  • Steering column replacement
  • Steering angle sensor replacement
  • Collision or other physical damage
  • Electronic brake control module (EBCM) replacement
Old November 13th, 2015, 2:20 AM
CF Senior Member

I just find it hard to believe that three machines and several different techs all put the steering wheel in the same general position.
Old November 13th, 2015, 9:34 AM
CF Junior Member

can you post alignment print out data. and more details / do you need to turn the steering wheel to maintain forward driving?
Old November 13th, 2015, 2:58 PM
CF Senior Member

I did not take the printout sheet this time. The steering wheel is always off to the left. If I hold it straight the car goes right.
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:36 PM
CF Junior Member

It sounds like these alignment technicians can not set toe. Your dealership alignment should have a 12/12 warranty. If you have to take a cell phone video of the off center steering wheel while driving on a flat level road. With information you have provided it seem like the LF toe is too much positive, the RF toe is too much negative and the with a scan tool (GDS2) the steering angle sensor requires centering while still on the alignment rack and wheels straight forward. It is very unlikely that the any of the alignment techs did the steering angle sensor centering. and the tire store wouldn't even have the scan tool. If you go back to the dealer you need to tell then your concern is the steering wheel is off center to the left while driving on a flat level road.

PS A/T may have different performance good or bad and any suspension modifications (lifted or different wheels) definitely not a good

Last edited by Bern; November 14th, 2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old November 14th, 2015, 11:06 PM
CF Senior Member

I kept the at tires the same factory size. No suspension mods. Funny but I took a picture of the angled steering on a straight roadway.

Thanks for your advice
Old November 19th, 2015, 9:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Well after 8 failures, I finally got a great alignment. I set what I believed was straight and marked it with blue tape. She runs great.

Last edited by blueinterceptor; November 20th, 2015 at 5:21 AM.
Old November 20th, 2015, 12:36 AM
CF Active Member

To help you better understand, a steering gear or rack & pinion gear, all have a center to center point of the worm gear. At this center point the groove is lower providing a place for the ball assembly to seat. Any setting out of this position will always make the gear want to center it'self, and making the steering wheel off center.
Now comes the toe-in adjustment to keep from disturbing the gear center. Shorten one tie rod end and lenghten the opposite side. This keeps the gear centered and moves the tire's only. You may find 1 out of 10 shops that will do this, to do it correctly you must test drive and adjust, then back on the rack and set the toe-in.
Not a quick procedure but the OLD FASHIONED right way. JMHO and good luck, you found someone who knew what they were doing.
David g..........