Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Kenwood CCD-900 install

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2007, 4:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kenwood CCD-900 install

First I want to say thank you to others on this forum for providing their instructions, photos, etc to help me get this project done. I changed several things in my installation of the Kenwood CCD-900 rear camera to suit my needs and may be of help to others also. I mounted the Kenwood video box in the center console and used the trailer backup light circuit under the hood as the reverse "trigger" location. I have compiled a set of installation instructions complete with pictures on how I did this install and removed parts/panelsand anyone is welcome to use them if they wish, but this forum will not allow me to upload the Word doc format. As Landon pointed out this is not an install that is really simple and will take electrical and mechanical skills to complete the job.

If a moderator or administrator would let me know I will send them the file and they can place it here on the forum as it is 3.77 mb in size and in Microsoft Word doc format complete with pictures of the install.

Here is a link to where I uploaded it http://home.earthlink.net/~genestoy/kenwood/camera_install.doc
Old March 29th, 2007, 4:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kenwood CCD-900 install

please send it to me at I will try to convert & I wanna see it
Old March 29th, 2007, 6:06 PM
CF Active Member

I sent you a copy and also uploaded it to my server and added a link above
Old March 29th, 2007, 6:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's one heck of a document.... Now I just need to figure out a way to buy the camera without my wife finding out!!! :-)

Once question though - what took longer to do... the installation of the camera or the creation of the document??!!??!!
Old March 29th, 2007, 6:33 PM
CF Active Member

Actually about the same time for both! That is because I had to take pics while I was doing the install and then lots of notes and then format the document after I was done. Enjoy, hope it helps someone!
Old March 29th, 2007, 7:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did a great job!!! I see you have it posted..! Nice work!!
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:04 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

genestoy,

Great Job! I am glad it worked for you. I wish I would have done a few things different on my install, however I am happy with my wiring scheme and location of parts.

I would have like to have painted my camera also, I also didnt get one panel put on perfectly, I fought it for an hour. No one will ever know but myself. Just a few simple fixes, but redoing it would be a pain. I would have to completely remove the camera to get it painted.

Anyways, great job and it looks great. Isnt it worth all the time and effort?
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks Landon, yes it works great. I think you could easily paint the camera. First use that blue masking tape and put a small piece over the lens, then take a razor blade and carefully trim around the edge of the glass and pull off the outside tape leaving just the egg shaped piece on the lens. Then carefully mask the area around it with the same blue tape. Clean as much of the camera that you can with acetone on a clean rag (be careful to not get any on the truck!) Then spray with Krylon glossy white, let dry and remove the blue tape. The hardest part will be masking it off, but will be well worth it. You can also unscrew the camera, paint the back and cable, let dry, re-install and do the above.