Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Left-Front Suspension Popping

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2021, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left-Front Suspension Popping

I have a 2009 Tahoe LT with 4WD with 140K miles. This vehicle also has a 2" ReadyLift leveling kit (spacer on top of coil-over).

I also posted in the Engine and Drivetrain forum, but I am looking for more opinions and this forum is more about suspensions.

I have been getting a popping or thumping sound coming from the driver-side front area that usually happens when the wheels are turned to go right. I don't get this all the time, but I have heard happen when I am backing out of my sloped driveway and turning the truck to get on the street. I also have heard it pop when turning right into a parking space. I also have heard it doing this sound backing out of my garage after it has set, and I maybe changed the steering a little. It's not constant, it will just make this popping sound and not do it again until next time.

I did jack up the front end and checked for any play in the wheel by grabbing at 12 and 6, and 3 and 9 and I did not get any so I think it's not my ball joints. I checked the sway bar links on both sides and they are both tight and the links are not broken. I also checked the left front tie rod end to see if there is any play by grabbing and trying to see if it would move and I did not have any, nor did I see any sign of wear.

I did have the left CV axel replaced because the old one had a torn boot, so I am beginning to suspect that it's the problem. The part I replaced the old one with is an ACDelco 22789359 which is the same as my old part. I did struggle some putting the hub nut from the old axel on to this new one - the threads were tighter and had a hard time getting the nut to turn. I did not cross thread because I was able to back it off and see if there was any thread damage and then retested the not on the old axel to verify I did not trash the nut. I did get the not to set, but it was a struggle with my impact wrench. However, I do seem to recall getting a similar sound before I replaced the axel, but it's been a while I may be recalling something else. I know I should replace the nut and I am going to do that.

I am half tempted to put the old CV axel back on to see if the problem goes away, but as you know, that is a lot of work. I don't think at this time that it's the problem for the popping noise, but I could be wrong.

With the sway bar links totally disconnected and then a test drive, I am still getting that popping sound. So it's definitely not the sway bar links.

Got a video of the popping sound. You can hear at about 0:47, 1:47, and 2:30

In the video, I am not hearing anything from the CV axel while it's turning, so I am suspecting that it is not guilty of the popping sound. But, I am not sure.

I lifted the Tahoe by the left lower control arm and did the 12 to 6 wobble on the tire. There is a little play going on, and you can hear a thumping sound when the tire is moved in the 12 to 6. I got another video of the upper ball joint with some help from a helper.

I also did the pry bar under the tire with a helper, and I could not really see a lot of play. I will try to get a video later.
I am going to do a further look at the rack and pinion bushings, too. but the sound is not always happening when I turn the wheel while normal driving, nor does the steering feel loose. I am also going to check the LCA bushings too.

Right now, I am stuck trying to find out the cause of this sound and don't want to go down the route of replacing parts until I am more positive about the root cause.

Given what I have described, would you suspect it's the ball joints that are giving off this sound? Do the videos show that my joints are shot? If not, then what do you think might be the cause and where I should do further inspection?

I hope someone can "steer" me in the right direction! pun intended

Last edited by gmartin1215; April 14th, 2021 at 5:32 PM.
Old April 15th, 2021, 8:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts

Check your strut mounts. They could be loose with the spacers in there.
At 140k miles everything in the front end is worn and possibly loose.
Play in the wheel is hub bearings loose. My '11's were shot at 80k miles. Any play in any bearing or joint means it's worn out. Rubber bushings are meant to have some defection but not solid joints. Cracked rubber bushings are a sign they have had enough.
Pop sounds usually are suspension parts moving.
Old January 9th, 2023, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you figure it out?

Did you figure out what was causing it? I have the same noise on a 2010 Tahoe and I have no clue. I have went over everything.