Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Popping sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2015, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Popping sound when turning

I have 04 Suburban and at the beginning of the year we had the rear differentle (sp?) replaced. Not long after that everytime we made a right turn or pulled out of driveway, we would hear a popping/creaking noise up until we straightened out the steering wheel. We don't feel it in the wheel or in vehicle when it makes the sound though.

Not long after we noticed the noise we had new tires put on and the sound went away, so we figured the tires was causing the problem. Now the sound is back again and no matter what way we turn the vehicle it now makes the same popping/creaking noise. Anybody know what it could be before I go to a mechanic. My husband thinks it could be the wheel bearings.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

I had a similar problem on my 2002 and replaced the steering shaft and it seemed to fix it. My dad and I did it ourselves, wasnt to hard if I remember correctly.
But my steering is still kinda sloppy, need to get that figured out.
Wasnt there a recall for the steering shaft?

Last edited by bmisfeldt; June 23rd, 2015 at 9:30 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the coil spring rubber seats. They are probably worn through causing metal on metal contact.
Check your sway bar bushings.
Check your upper and lower ball joints.
lift the front tire off the ground and give it a push and tug to test the ball joints and bearings.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 5:09 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is sound from front or back?
Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Have the intermediate shaft checked. If it hasn't been replaced w/ the new design, could be the source of the noise.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 11:24 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by sheymom26
I have 04 Suburban and at the beginning of the year we had the rear differentle (sp?) replaced. Not long after that everytime we made a right turn or pulled out of driveway, we would hear a popping/creaking noise up until we straightened out the steering wheel. We don't feel it in the wheel or in vehicle when it makes the sound though.

Not long after we noticed the noise we had new tires put on and the sound went away, so we figured the tires was causing the problem. Now the sound is back again and no matter what way we turn the vehicle it now makes the same popping/creaking noise. Anybody know what it could be before I go to a mechanic. My husband thinks it could be the wheel bearings.
With the vehicle running, put on the brakes(no emergency brake) shift to Drive and give it a small amount of gas until you feel it trying to move, then let off the gas, shift to Nuetral, and do the same in Reverse as well. WHILE DOING THIS, LISTEN FOR A CRACKING NOISE IN EITHER DIRECTION. If you hear a noise, replace the universal joints on the drive shaft. They had to take the driveshaft loose to replace the rear differential, so I'm assuming a needle bearing fell out of one of the cups and they overlooked it. My money's on the noise is in that area. JMHO and let me know what happens. Good luck, dand41cb@aol.com

David g.