Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 6:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Low Oil Pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2011, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the same low oil pressure warning come up on my wifes '07 Suburban. Oil level is fine and changed at regular intervals. I am taking it in to the shop tomorrow. My mechanic said if I am not hearing noise from the engine, specifically valves tapping, its probably a faulty sensor. He said he would check the pressure with a guage. If it reads normal, he would replace the sensor. If not, it could be a screen thats plugged possibly. I will update my diagnosis when its done. Hope this helps.
Old April 27th, 2011, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Update: Mine turned out to be the screen where the sensor is. It was plugged up so the sensor wasn't reading correctly.
Old April 28th, 2011, 8:58 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jkj860
Update: Mine turned out to be the screen where the sensor is. It was plugged up so the sensor wasn't reading correctly.
Did you pull it out or did you have it serviced?
Old April 28th, 2011, 4:19 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I echo in2pro on this one. What exactly did you do once you figured our what it was causing the issue? Glad to know you've got it working properly now as well!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 28th, 2011, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

I called my mechanic who told me what the two probable causes were. He checked the oil pressure with a guage and it read fine which meant the engine was ok, (I didn't hear noise like valves) so he pulled the sending unit. He said there is a screen I guess in front of it that was plugged. when he cleaned it and tested it, the pressure was still erratic, so he replaced the sending unit and test drove it on a couple trips and its working fine now. He emphasized the importance of regular oil changes (which I do) but since I bought this vehicle used im not sure what the previous owner did. So basically, the sending unit was the issue.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default @Jeff

Jeff,
Can you provide your contact info. I have a 07 Suburban that is having the same issue. 83k on it. very disappointing...

thanks.
Dan
Old July 3rd, 2012, 8:13 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan McCabe
Jeff,
Can you provide your contact info. I have a 07 Suburban that is having the same issue. 83k on it. very disappointing...

thanks.
Dan
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hello, my name is Louis, I have taken over this forum for Jeff. I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue with your Suburban vehicle. Have you had the vehicle inspected for this issue?

If you would like to contact me, please feel free to contact me via PM or email. You can also contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at: 1-800-222-1020

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 16th, 2012, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 2008 Suburban

I seem to be having issues with my 08 Sub. My engine is actually making a ticking noise though. Does anyone know what that means???? It seems like it's the lifters or valves.

Any ideas

Thanks
Old October 17th, 2012, 9:42 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

2008 Suburbanite Welcome to the forum..
Are you hearing the sounds more then usual or is the vehicle new to you?
How many miles do you have?
How does the oil level look?
How does the oil smell and look, too much gasoline in it will thin it , if its milky you have water in it, both will cause engine noise and damage
Are you using the recommend weight?
Using a quality brand of oil?

Sometimes high mileage on lifters can make them stick and tic due to build up, some additives can be put in the oil to help address the issue..
Old October 18th, 2012, 6:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
2008 Suburbanite Welcome to the forum..
Are you hearing the sounds more then usual or is the vehicle new to you? Yes, I am hearing more than usual--that's why I'm asking about it
How many miles do you have?-- Just over 61K
How does the oil level look? Oil level is up where it's supposed to be
How does the oil smell and look, too much gasoline in it will thin it , if its milky you have water in it, both will cause engine noise and damage--no differences in the oil
Are you using the recommend weight? Of course--5w30
Using a quality brand of oil? I used Castrol when I did the oil change

Sometimes high mileage on lifters can make them stick and tic due to build up, some additives can be put in the oil to help address the issue..

Thanks for the help. I had a state inspection and they told me they thought it was the oil pump, that GM cars are known for having oil pump problems. Also said they would check it out for me to narrow it down. I had to get on it a little bit (merging into traffic) and that's when I noticed it making the noise. It's my main vehicle so i drive it, but I don't get on the accelerator at all--I just take it easy. I don't need to throw a rod or anything like that!!!!

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure warning