Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 6:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Low Oil Pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2013, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same problem different outcome

I had the exact same problem with low oil pressure warning as the long winded guy, except mine happened twice within two weeks. Each time it went away after the car set for about 5 minutes. Then I put 10,000 miles and almost exactly one year later the same problem within two weeks again. Again let sit and goes away. I too did not think there was an actual low pressure problem as the car did not sound like it was making any unusual noises. I am now wondering if it is a sensor or wiring problem related to temperature as all four times it has happened it has been less than 20 degrees F outside.
And after reading the other posts, the other item that is consistent is the oil life remaining all times has been belong 15%. Maybe it is related to oil filter and cold weather combined?? The scenario described by the one poster on how the oil pressure gauge reads was exactly accurate. 35 psi ish and then slowly falls to almost 0. Normally reads in 40-60 range.
Any other thoughts from others with problem?
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevyguy
I had the exact same problem with low oil pressure warning as the long winded guy, except mine happened twice within two weeks. Each time it went away after the car set for about 5 minutes. Then I put 10,000 miles and almost exactly one year later the same problem within two weeks again. Again let sit and goes away. I too did not think there was an actual low pressure problem as the car did not sound like it was making any unusual noises. I am now wondering if it is a sensor or wiring problem related to temperature as all four times it has happened it has been less than 20 degrees F outside.
And after reading the other posts, the other item that is consistent is the oil life remaining all times has been belong 15%. Maybe it is related to oil filter and cold weather combined?? The scenario described by the one poster on how the oil pressure gauge reads was exactly accurate. 35 psi ish and then slowly falls to almost 0. Normally reads in 40-60 range.
Any other thoughts from others with problem?
Update changed oil and filter problem gone. I suspect there is either no bypass on the filter or it is not working. Guess I'll just keep filter changed more regulary and stop using oil life percentage. Thanks
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

What brand oil filter did you take off and what's the new one?
Old January 21st, 2013, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

old filter was Fram extra guard, new one is fram tough guard. Checked out the AC filter as I was hoping to get a larger filter. But AC filter same size but felt lighter, so I went with Fram again thinking it might filter better. I really wish they had to publish filter specs so you could tell whose were better or same. Price is about the same on all so can't use that as a gauge. I do like the rubber grip on the Fram filters.
Old January 21st, 2013, 7:03 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Fram's are not know for quality filters... They can be found in Lowe's and other stores that are not automotive in nature ... They are there because of a price point... a very cheap price point for the seller...
Google Fram oil filters and there are many complaints about there lack of filtering quality and that they tend to fall apart or collapse
Old January 21st, 2013, 8:48 PM
Administrator

Meant to add that last nite but slipped my mind, what's left of it.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm suspecting that my issue was filter failure, however I'm not totally convinced that Purolator is a consistently bad filter. I've used Purolators for years and hundreds of thousands of miles without any problems. They appear to be well made when compared to other filters in their price range.
Inside a Purolator:
For now I'll rack my experience up as an isolated incident....and change my oil and filter more frequently than the computerized change interval tells me.

Last edited by JPTL; May 16th, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

My Low Oil Pressure Story ----

Two days ago in the Am I started up and had driven about 3 miles on city streets when the LOW OIL PRESSURE SHUT OFF ENGINE warning appeared. I was stunned. I pulled to the curb immediately. No noises of any kind.

The reading was around 10psi bouncing a little to say, 30psi. I checked the oil level, it looked 1 qt down. Of course, I always carry oil. I put one in. Retested. It came up to 50psi which is normal, so I pulled away from the curb but in 2 blocks it went back to zero and the warning was back.

I found a level parking lot right there and pulled in to level the car. Checked the oil again, and it was 1 down again. I figured it must be pouring out somewhere. Looked high and low in and around and under engine. Nope. Not a spot of oil anywhere - no smells. I shut the car off, added one more quart. Sat thinking for 10 minutes.

Started, and it came up to about 30psi. I made a few circles are the level parking lot. It wouldn't come up to the normal 50. But it didn't go below about 25. So I went ahead and drove to work 3 miles away. It was bouncing around between 20 and 40. It never does that.

Came out from work 4 hours later and it was at solid 50psi - normal. It hasn't moved off that since Monday.

Q: Is the sensor/screen affair easy to pull? (I am only "fair" with tools). Or is this something for a pro?

I will get my oil changed as the life is on 15% anyway. I guess this is a common problem?

2007 Suburban 1500 5.3L 4WD 95K miles.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 9:14 PM
Administrator

It used a quart in two blocks? Did you check it after you put the first quart in?

First I've heard of a problem like this. But I think it has to be more than a quart low to trigger the sensor.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
It used a quart in two blocks? Did you check it after you put the first quart in?
I checked it, but I am not sure I checked carefully. My assumption is that it was 2 down, and I only thought that the first qt brought it up to full.

My stick is very hard to read as it always has some oil dripping on it to make the reading a bit "iffy."

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure warning