Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 6:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Low Oil Pressure warning

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mdeneen9000
My Low Oil Pressure Story ----

Two days ago in the Am I started up and had driven about 3 miles on city streets when the LOW OIL PRESSURE SHUT OFF ENGINE warning appeared. I was stunned. I pulled to the curb immediately. No noises of any kind.

The reading was around 10psi bouncing a little to say, 30psi. I checked the oil level, it looked 1 qt down. Of course, I always carry oil. I put one in. Retested. It came up to 50psi which is normal, so I pulled away from the curb but in 2 blocks it went back to zero and the warning was back.

I found a level parking lot right there and pulled in to level the car. Checked the oil again, and it was 1 down again. I figured it must be pouring out somewhere. Looked high and low in and around and under engine. Nope. Not a spot of oil anywhere - no smells. I shut the car off, added one more quart. Sat thinking for 10 minutes.

Started, and it came up to about 30psi. I made a few circles are the level parking lot. It wouldn't come up to the normal 50. But it didn't go below about 25. So I went ahead and drove to work 3 miles away. It was bouncing around between 20 and 40. It never does that.

Came out from work 4 hours later and it was at solid 50psi - normal. It hasn't moved off that since Monday.

Q: Is the sensor/screen affair easy to pull? (I am only "fair" with tools). Or is this something for a pro?

I will get my oil changed as the life is on 15% anyway. I guess this is a common problem?

2007 Suburban 1500 5.3L 4WD 95K miles.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mdeneen9000,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Suburban vehicle. Would you please PM me your VIN, so I can look into this further for you?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 23rd, 2013, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Not sure why where you buy the filter would have anything to do with the quality of them. Searched internet for Fram filter problems and did it for other brands, seems you can find anything you want. I did come across this filter test and basically the Fram came out on top and the AC Delco was near bottom. Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

Thus, I'm not sure who you can believe/trust. I guess the only true result is buying the filter from the GM dealer where hopefully they are buying them from GM and not through some off distributor. But with my experience with GM dealers I would not put it past some of them.

Anyway, no more problems since changed filter and oil. I will change filter more regularly to avoid anymore possible problems. Forum was great as it helped me trouble shoot the problem to a resolution I am happy with. Thanks everyone.
Old January 24th, 2013, 2:11 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Its not so much were you buy it but the type of store selling it... I said Lowe's because they are not in the Auto parts business, so if they are selling Auto oil filters its because they bought it cheap enough to make a decent profit on it when they sell it...
They could sell other filters but some of those filters cost more to make therefore reducing the amount of profit that can be made off it to still sell it competitively..

I prefer to use the AC because its OEM, GM wouldn't use something that is knowingly going to cost them money for warranty work...

Amazon carries the AC filter, along with many others. They can be ordered in bulk and be delivered right to your front door , thus removing the dealership or a long drive to the Auto parts store if that is the case...

Fram may have a good product, but they have had there share of bad reviews, enough so that I won't risk using them...

Last edited by in2pro; January 24th, 2013 at 2:13 PM.
Old February 25th, 2013, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

I too have a 2007 Suburban and it is my wifes daily driver. Today she had the low oil pressure scenario happen to her just as has been described throughout this thread. I hate to say it but I think I hear some valves rattling when I start the engine. Granted, it is not my daily driver so I cannot pretend to know all of its sounds. Right now I guess I just have to hope for the best and get it into our local dealership where we bought it.

Just a general question; Do all Suburbans seem to use oil to the point of needing to add a quart now and then even between oil changes?
Old February 26th, 2013, 8:31 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by 2007suburbanJLS
I too have a 2007 Suburban and it is my wifes daily driver. Today she had the low oil pressure scenario happen to her just as has been described throughout this thread. I hate to say it but I think I hear some valves rattling when I start the engine. Granted, it is not my daily driver so I cannot pretend to know all of its sounds. Right now I guess I just have to hope for the best and get it into our local dealership where we bought it.

Just a general question; Do all Suburbans seem to use oil to the point of needing to add a quart now and then even between oil changes?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 2007suburbanJLS,

Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

Feel free to contact me privately if you have additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 26th, 2013, 2:59 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

neither my 2007 or current 2010 used oil.
Old February 26th, 2013, 4:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Our '07 LT's valves clattered for 30 seconds or so from start-up. Clattering went away after it warmed. It did this from the day it was new. I wasn't comfortable with the dealer's explanation of "some do this, and it's nothing to worry about." Oil consumption for this Suburban was negligible.
When we traded in the '07 for an '08 LTZ (leased), the engine never clattered. However after 40k on the clock, it started to consume oil to the tune of 1 quart every 3k miles, then seemed to plateau out at a quart every 2,500 miles. No leaks, no blue smoke, no smell, no clatter.
Again, I was uncomfortable with the character of this engine so we didn't buy it after the lease was up.
We went back to an '07 LTZ. No clatter, but similar oil consumption as with the '08.
I'm sure you can find numerous discussions about mystery oil consumption w/Suburban & Tahoes. I believe that oil consumption, valve clatter and low pressure as a result of a clogged filter are all completely isolated from one another....at least in the case of our Suburbans.
I've decided that I'm going to live with the oil consumption phenom, and I carry a funnel, a pair of latex gloves and a few spare quarts around in the bin.
My wife now knows how to add oil in the dark.

Last edited by JPTL; February 26th, 2013 at 4:30 PM.
Old February 26th, 2013, 5:31 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

On my 07 I've never had a oil consumption issue, though on a cold morning after the truck has been sitting for a couple of days I get just a tiny bit of clatter that quickly goes away as the oil starts to flow... I suspect its more so due to sitting for extended time and oil being thicker when its cold out...
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
2007suburbanJLS,

Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

Feel free to contact me privately if you have additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service

We had to have a new sending unit installed and it appears to be fixed! We love our Suburban and feel very fortunate that this was all that had to be done. As for the noise I was hearing apparently one of the pulleys was loose and we had all the belts replaced too. Seems like a new running vehicle again.
Old February 27th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by 2007suburbanJLS
We had to have a new sending unit installed and it appears to be fixed! We love our Suburban and feel very fortunate that this was all that had to be done. As for the noise I was hearing apparently one of the pulleys was loose and we had all the belts replaced too. Seems like a new running vehicle again.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 2007suburbanJLS,

Thank you for the update. I am happy to hear your dealer was able to resolve this issue for you.

If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure warning