Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lowering Kits

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2007, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Kits

I am getting ready to drop my 07 Tahoe. I have been told by a few people that I should not go with coil springs in the front and instead use drop spindles. I see a few of you have used the Eibach kits with success. Is there a reason to go with Drop spindles or control arms if I am only doing a 2/3 drop?

Also, do I need to be concerned with rubbing if I am running 305/40/22 tires? The tires and wheels were on the truck when I bought it so I am not sure about the off set....They seem to stick out a bit in the front.

That's it for now.....I have more plans so I'm sure I will be asking for more advice.

Thanks,

Mike
Old March 26th, 2007, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Lowering Kits

Sorry...I forgot. Would you guys recommend Belltech or DJM over the Eibach kits?

Thanks,
Old March 26th, 2007, 5:53 PM
CF Active Member

Go with the McGaughy's.
I went with them because of the other experiences i had with my other cars and the springs in the front. The ride is a whole lot better with the spindles.
I have 305/45/22. I got some rub in the back but that lasted for about 2 weeks. just rubs the plastic off. I do get some **** when I turn in the front on a steep grade of at a high speed. The traction control lights go on and it feels like the ABS is kicking in.
Old March 26th, 2007, 7:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey Rockstardaddy

My with does the same with the traction control light and the abs kicking in when I make sharp turns and slightly apply the brake.

Is this something we should beconcerned about??? What if I'm going down a Mtn and my abs kicks in... I don't think that will be good.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:18 PM
CF Junior Member

I always opt to go to a spindle when possible. It keeps everything the same in the front suspension, just moves the wheel up on the spindle. On 4wd it will change the angle on the CV, but nothing drastic. You are not changing spring rates or anything, so you have the same factory ride. Springs on the other hand will change the spring rate, but sometimes it's not as noticable. Hopefully some of the Eibach guys will chime in, but on my McGaughy's kit, it rides just like stock up front. The back is a bit "bouncier" due to the coil springs in the rear. If I had to do it again, I'd probably try for the Belltech spindle/spring kit if it fits your model.[/align][/align]I'm almost certain the issue with the abs/tc lights is overextending the rear abs lines when putting in the new coils. The directions stink and don't tell you to undo the clips or the lines before dropping the rear axle without the shocks. One of these days I'll look into replacing them to see if this resolves those troubles. But for now it only does it at low speeds for me, so I'm sure it's not really and issue. It probably won't even to it if you turn the traction control off.[/align]
Old March 27th, 2007, 2:22 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: lvegaskid1

Hey Rockstardaddy

My with does the same with the traction control light and the abs kicking in when I make sharp turns and slightly apply the brake.

Is this something we should beconcerned about??? What if I'm going down a Mtn and my abs kicks in... I don't think that will be good.
I agree. I was going on an on-ramp that was banked and had to slam on the brakes because some numb nut was stopped. I almost hit the guy because of the issue.
Old March 28th, 2007, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the responses guys!!! It's nice to get some answers so quickly. I hace decided to go with the spindle/spring kit....I'm trying to decide between Belltech and McGaughy's. Hopefully I will be able to get a few pictures up after it is done.

Thanks,

Mike
Old March 28th, 2007, 3:50 PM
CF Active Member

I am running the McGaughy's spindles and have no problems with the ABS lights or traction control. I think you need to take it to a reputable shop and watch what they do and remind them to not bend/kink the lines.
Old March 28th, 2007, 5:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the McGhaughys spindle/rear coils. I do get the occasional abs/traction control issue. It doesn't bother me. It has to do with the stiffer ride sending wrong signals to the sensors. I took it to the dealer and they ran diagnostic and all the sensors are working properly. It doesnt bother me. Good luck.
Old March 28th, 2007, 5:31 PM
CF Junior Member

When I get a chanceI'm taking it back to my shop and have them look at the abs lines for any kinks... hopefully that will be the problem

Quick Reply: Lowering Kits