Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

NAV On 2008 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2011, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV On 2008 Suburban

Just bought a 2008 Suburban with no Nav and was wondering if i can install a factory NAV fairly easy and if so is it the nav that makes it so you can have hands free BT calling?
Old September 24th, 2011, 9:09 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

There's a sticky at the beginning of this section on that subject. I think the BT became available on the '09 model year so if it's part of the Nav, then you'd need that version or newer.
Old September 25th, 2011, 9:48 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can add OEM navigation. It's fairly easy. There are, of course, some wires that you may need to run. They are not all that difficult, but there is some work involved. As 73shark said, check the sticky at the top of the forum for more information.

As for the bluetooth - the simple answer is no. However, it's a little more complicated than that, and it can be done. The OEM bluetooth (post 2009) is not part of the head unit, but rather part of the Onstar module (VCIM). One can theoretically change that VCIM out to a post 2009 unit and gain bluetooth capabilities. Unfortunately, by doing this, you lose Onstar itself (in most cases). If you don't use Onstar, then it's nothing to worry about.

To make matters simple I will link to another thread, on another forum. I hate to make you go all over the place to get your answers, but it's just easier for you to read posts from people that have actually done this. See HERE for more information.

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info fellas!

The first thing i did before posting was go through a few pages of that Sticky you two mentioned. The reason i just decided to post my own thread is because i dont have a 09, i more want BT more than NAVI (navi doesnt work to well in my neck of the woods), and i like i am not that great of a reader. have a little un treated reading disabilities that were never treated or talked about in the 80's. which is why i love forums i can ask a few questions and they will be just a few paragraphs that answer me not a bunch of other stuff that get me confused. anyhow i will try and get through that 09 nav post and post back.

i have 08 LT,leather seats (not heated ),6 disc cd changer (not bose ), back up sensors(no camera ), just really a plain jane LT how it got leather i have no idea
kinda weird really.
Old September 25th, 2011, 6:09 PM
Administrator

Not sure but I believe there's an aftermarket BT module available that you can add.
Old September 28th, 2011, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

ok so looks like im gonna have a shop install a new nav/dvd system into the burb. any one have a
AVIC-Z130BT
7" Pioneer dvd with navi/blue tooth

if so does it look good in the rig? i dont want it looking cheap.. is there a good place for after market bezels?
Old September 30th, 2011, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

*bump* i hope i am making a good decision.. right now i am going for the pioneer nav deck, 2 lcd screens in the driver,passenger head rests, 1 15" drop down screen for the back row, xbox installed for all screens, back up camera, viper alarm system, and a partridge in a pear tree...

Last edited by TheTick; September 30th, 2011 at 8:35 PM.
Old September 30th, 2011, 9:37 PM
Administrator

Is it a non-DVD based nav system? Might Google the model and look for some user reports.
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

it is dvd based.. back screens will either be able to use the nav dvd or the xbox dvd.. i tried goggling it but i cant find anyone with a burb that has one.. im only scared it will look hokey or cheap.. any ideas on a good aftermarket deck would be awesome.
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Hope the DVD update isn't as expensive as the GM one is.

Did you look at the Kenwood? It's Garmin based. Just got a Garmin for my RV and it beats the GM Denso everywhere except it's only a 5" screen. I can live w/ that.

Might check w/ Crutchfield. As long as the outer dimensions fit the opening, you should be OK tho.

Quick Reply: NAV On 2008 Suburban