Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Navigation disk updates scrolling

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2008, 3:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Navigation disk updates scrolling

I just got my 4.0 Navigation DVD in the mail and when I first installed it, I got the following message:

[IMG]local://upfiles/6152/677DD93D41F1490D99454CA5F1EE3883.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 27th, 2008, 3:08 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Navigation disk updates scrolling

Then after about five minutes, the navigation started to work. I also noticed some differences, one, the clock was larger, and there was another menu option, having to do with the radio and navigation scrolling. Interesting.... It looks like the new 4.0 navigation DVD for the 09 tahoes updates the radio. Mine isa 07. Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you guys. Some maybe able to modify the update file to do other things like some have done with the honda and lexus nav disk.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6152/AE283DB598AC4F99B16003FCE3CC695E.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 28th, 2008, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much did u pay for the navigation disc?
Old October 28th, 2008, 8:51 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Nothing if it's a 2007.
Old October 29th, 2008, 7:33 AM
CF Active Member

I installed the factory unit myself and I didn't have the vin to the last car it was in. If I did, I would have tried to see if I could change the information on the GM navigation Disk website and try to get a update for free. I bought it used of ebay. the Nav unit was part15940102.

I paid 57.00 shipping included on ebay. The disk looked perfect. Now I have version 1.10, a burned copy of 2.0 anda original copy of 4.0. The 4.0 disk looks like it has all of the US and Canadaincluding AK and HI but i wouldn't think that most people would transport their car back and forth to HI. I moved to a new subdivision and my address was not on the previous versions but it is on this one. Also, i travel to Houston oftenand the older versions didn't have some of the roads that were recently constructed.

I had good luck using HP Dual layer DVR+R media for burning copies of the nav disk. No coasters, it worked on the first try. I just set the speed to the slowest possible. I plan on copying my latest disk and storing the original one at the house.
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

What software did you use to copy?
Old October 29th, 2008, 5:44 PM
CF Active Member

I used Nero Express. I chose the copy entire DVD disc option, then on the speed, I moved it from maximum down to 1X (1,385k). When I started the copy, it automatically bumped up the speed to 2.4X. Thats what the HP Double Layer DVD+R's are rated at. I have a LG burner installed on a computer thats about 6 years old. It took aboutan hour to copy. you might want want to backup any addresses you may stored in the nav unit before you install version 4.0. i lost mine when i first put the orignal
Old October 29th, 2008, 8:47 PM
Administrator

How do you back up addresses? I thought they were stored in the Nav units memory.
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM
CF Active Member

It does store all your addressesim assuming on flash memory. So if your battery ever goes dead, it will still have all your information. But when i installed the 4.0c disc, it cleared all the addresses from thememory of the nav unit. Maybe it needed all the available memory in order to process and write the new firmware in the nav unit. The FM station presets were still there. I would suggest writing down all your addresses or the places that you marked on the unit just in case. I dont think that there is any other way to back them up other than pen and paper. But I could be wrong.

After I did installed 4.0 and saved some addresses to make sure it works, i swapped it with my old disc so i can make a copy of the 4.0 disc. when I put it back in, i didnt get the message again nor did i loose any saved addresses. I

I believe that the 4.0c disc may update your Nav firmware/operating software and updated map datadepending on your nav unit. Maybe GM did this to fix some bugs that may have been present in some older nav units. The older disc like the 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and so on just have updated map data only. Just sharing my two cents.
Old October 30th, 2008, 3:45 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long did it take to get your disc? I haven't seen a postcard for my free update so I called the Nav disc center after seeing it out of stock on their web site. Nice lady answered, but she had no idea when they would beshipping them or even when they would receive them from the supplier.

Quick Reply: Navigation disk updates scrolling