Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need Help ASAP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help ASAP!!!!

This is my first post on here however im taking my post from another page and placing it here for hopes of some more help.

This all the sudden started today. While driving, it wont shift on its own. From 1-2, 2-3. 3-2, 2-1. Theres no OD at all. It just flat out wont shift into it. If you come to a complete stop while you were in lets say 2nd gear. Then when you try to start going again it will start in 2nd gear. If you start in 3rd or OD. Its kind of intermittent. While driving in 3rd gear, if you punch it, it will NOT down shift at all. If you drive it like a manual and manually shift from 1-2, 2-3, 3-2, 2-1 it will shift but it shifts HARD. Still non OD when you shift manually.

At the same time the gauges started acting up as well. Sometimes both the speedo and tach jump around then settle back real quick. Other times (seems to be getting more often) It will go to 0 rpm and sometime 0mph as well. sometime it will catch itself and gauges work again. Other times you have to turn off the suburban to get it to seemingly reset.

I have checked the fluid which SEEMS to be ok. I have looked around and made sure that all connections that I can see are tight and that theirs no loose ground wires etc..

I have a family of 6 and this is our MAIN transportation. I NEED to have this fixed. Theres has usually always been a check engine light on. Not all the time but I think that what ever this is may be throwing a light. Im not sure as its been on for other things for some reason. I do not have a scanner and can NOT afford to through parts at it "HOPING" to fix it. I really need to find out what is wrong with it SOON!!!

Please Help, I am mechanically inclined just dont know much of anything about transmissions.

I read around the net and found out that i can pull some codes with the paper clip trick. I did this and got the following.

little update now, I went out and checked the fuses and they were all good. I disconnected the battery and went through and checked to make sure EVERY connection that I could find was tight. checked to make sure all grounds that i could find were tight. Hooked the batt back up and went for a drive. Now it drives perfectly. Yet I feel that I did nothing???

Ok then, well today we were going to a birthday party and logically didnt buy a gift till on the way. It drove fine on the way to the store. I shut it off and went inside. When I came back out and started the suburban it started doing it again. Its the same "Limp home mode" that the tranny goes into. Got to the party and disconnected the batt. Reset it again and then drove it home after the party. It drove fine then. Any Ideas???

After searching on here a solution could be a bad ignition switch. From what I have read you hook your meter to a ground and the trans fuse. I did this, When the keys are in the ON position but not started yet I get a reading of just under 5 (meter is set at 20V). When I START the burban it wonders a bit. Sometimes it drops to the 2.7 range. I was told this shouldnt drop under 9V. Am I testing it wrong???

I am NOT in the position to toss parts at it. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old November 28th, 2010, 5:33 PM
CF Active Member

What year suburban, which engine, and which transmission?
Old November 29th, 2010, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

sorry about that. Its a 1995 suburban. 350 with 4l60. 4x4.

After looking and checking over it on sat and sun, i took out the ignition switch and ohmd it out. Everything seemed ok. I reinstalled the switch and started it and still the same. However when I would tap on the black box of the switch the gauges worked etc... then it would just quit a few seconds later. I have since ordered a new ignition switch for it. Im hoping it fixes it all. LOL
Old November 29th, 2010, 5:38 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'd get the codes scanned at an auto parts store so you know what you're dealing with. If that tranny is computer controlled, it should get you in the ball park.

Might try searching this forum for tranny problems.
Old November 30th, 2010, 9:45 AM
CF Active Member

^+1. Need to read the codes and you can do it free at most auto parts stores.
Old November 30th, 2010, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Vehicle Speed Sensor? Located at Transmission. Sounds like signals getting lost. Another thing is to look at the solenoids in tranny. Dont know if anyones messed with them while changing your tranny fluid but right underneath the pan there are two solenoids there. My experience changed tranny fluid and someone yanked on the black wires to the solenoids and couldnt go into any gears only if i did it manually 1,2,3.

Last edited by wetz19; November 30th, 2010 at 5:18 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Little update, After my previous post i felt confident that it was the ignition switch. I replaced that and now it drives like normal again. Just thought some may like to know.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks for the update.
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:47 PM
CF Active Member

sounds electrical