Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Member looking to buy a burb question

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2011, 7:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member looking to buy a burb question

Hi all. New to the site and looking for some opinions I guess. Currently I have an 01 Silverado HD Crew Cab that I am looking to trade in due to crappy mpg (only get around 11 mpg if I go 60 on the highway) and I have three kids that need more space. I have been looking around for a while and was originally considering going with a late 90's model suburban but can't find anything that is gently used for a decent price. I recently found a dealership 60 miles from me that has multiple 03-05 suburbans fully loaded that look really sweet. I guess at this point I am just looking for some other peoples opinions on which one they would lean towards. I have narrowed the selection down to these two:

Black 2003 Suburban LT w/autoride with 128000 miles asking $10,900

or

Black 2005 Suburban LT z71 with 122000 miles asking $14,900

All options are the same, fully loaded leather, 6 disc bose stereo, sliding sunroof, center buckets instead of the bench, etc.... The only difference I can see is that the 05 has the custom painted bumpers to match the paint which is pretty darn sweet...

My main vehicle use is driving to/from work (around 20 miles roundtrip) and occasionally pull our 5700 pound camper for camping trips though it usually stays in one place all summer.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 21st, 2011, 7:54 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Burban

If you don't need one now, and can take the cost, a 07 is the one you want... massive improvements to the frame / body / inside...

I've read about a lot of repair bills on here on the auto ride's once they get up in miles...
Old March 21st, 2011, 8:26 AM
CF Junior Member

The only 07's they have are Yukon XL Denali's. Those are nice and all but with the 6.2 engine in them I'd be in the same mpg boat that I am in now. Plus they want $24k for them and I am not looking to spend that much at the moment.
Old March 21st, 2011, 9:26 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yea

I hear ya on price, but it's a lot of newer...

check this place:

Used Cars for Sale: Listings Near 90210 - Cars.com

also autobytel and there's another i can't recall at the moment...

just making sure u have all the options!
Old March 21st, 2011, 9:10 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The painted bumpers are a Z71 feature as is the different luggage rack and side step tubes. The down side to the painted bumpers are there have been numerous reports of rust forming under the paint.

Try AutoTrader online.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 5:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the input. At this moment I think I am going to lean towards the cheaper 03. I guess I just figure that at two years older with about the same amount of miles it's been used a bit less maybe.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 9:35 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My $0.02

I just want to add my $0.02 here.

If I was looking at buying either one of those two Suburban's I would probably buy the '05 Z71 (especially considering the mileage on both). It is a little newer, but most of all I like the look of the Z71's (when looking at just the older models). The matching bumpers, luggage rack, and side steps are all nice differences in the Z71 package.

If I didn't have my '07 Tahoe, and didn't want to pay that much for a newer one, I would most defiantly be looking for an '03 - '06 Tahoe with the Z71 off road package. They just look that much better overall (in my opinion of course)!

Just my thoughts on the subject. Good luck with your purchase either way!!
Old March 22nd, 2011, 4:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ChevyFreak
I just want to add my $0.02 here.

If I was looking at buying either one of those two Suburban's I would probably buy the '05 Z71 (especially considering the mileage on both). It is a little newer, but most of all I like the look of the Z71's (when looking at just the older models). The matching bumpers, luggage rack, and side steps are all nice differences in the Z71 package.

If I didn't have my '07 Tahoe, and didn't want to pay that much for a newer one, I would most defiantly be looking for an '03 - '06 Tahoe with the Z71 off road package. They just look that much better overall (in my opinion of course)!

Just my thoughts on the subject. Good luck with your purchase either way!!
I can see what you are saying there as well. I REALLY do like the look of the Z71 package on the 05 but I am having a hard time settling on a $4000 higher asking price to get it on a vehicle two years newer.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 5:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Well shoot... I just went back and looked at the listings again and the 05 doesn't have center bucket seats, it has a bench. I am really set on having buckets as I don't want my oldest to have to climb over seats to get to his seat in the back all the time. But... I didn't notice before that the 05 has a DVD player also.... Choices, choices, choices.......
Old March 22nd, 2011, 7:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Other Options?

Originally Posted by rosencra38
Well shoot... I just went back and looked at the listings again and the 05 doesn't have center bucket seats, it has a bench. I am really set on having buckets as I don't want my oldest to have to climb over seats to get to his seat in the back all the time. But... I didn't notice before that the 05 has a DVD player also.... Choices, choices, choices.......
I will tell you that finding a vehicle with everything you want in a decent price range is an awfully hard task! BUT, it can be done!!

I did a search using the zip code of your home town on cars.com. I hope you don't mind....

Take a look on the linked page. If that link doesn't work I will post the entire web address below.

I did a search within 75 miles of that zip code, but most results are a lot closer. There might be a couple other options on that list that you could take a look at. I am am not sure if you are set on buying one of those two Suburbans mentioned in your first post, or specifically from the dealer that you are looking at, but being open to options is always a good idea

Web address:

Used Chevrolet Suburban in 49445 - Cars.com

Last edited by ChevyFreak; March 22nd, 2011 at 7:26 PM.

Quick Reply: New Member looking to buy a burb question