Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2011, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner

Just purchased a used 2010 LT Suburban, it has the heavy duty hitch and 7 pin adapter. I also noticed that it has two radiators, a large one and a smaller one in front. Since I dont have the window sticker I am wondering if I have the heavy duty cooling since it makes a 2500 pound towing capacity difference. Also has two electric fans and the tow hall mode. Traded my 2009 Acadia (a great family car), but needed more power for towing a camping trailer. Thanks.
Old June 14th, 2011, 9:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe - look in your glovebox for all the codes
then go here to check your VIN and confirm what packages/options you have
Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder
if you have another very small radiator up front then you probably have the HD tow package - that is the transmission cooler I think. the AC radiator is also up there so you should have 3 total.
the other features you say are standard with the factory tow setup.
Old June 14th, 2011, 8:43 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

jerheye welcome to the forum, I agree with ousig2408 if you have the smaller cooler in the front it is the trans cooler...you can also check to see if you have an oil cooler, look for lines running from the oil filter to the radiator or to a an external cooler itself...
Old June 14th, 2011, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

I Found RPO code Z82 in glove box, which translates to Trailering package HD, but not sure what that encompasses.
Old June 15th, 2011, 7:34 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Google is your friend... looks like 73shark did some of the work already
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...es-mean-22964/
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

jerheye,

Congratulations on your new purchase. That does sound like the heavy duty trailering package which includes the transmission and oil cooler. However, to be 100% sure, I would like to take a look at your VIN to confirm

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 15th, 2011, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
jerheye,

Congratulations on your new purchase. That does sound like the heavy duty trailering package which includes the transmission and oil cooler. However, to be 100% sure, I would like to take a look at your VIN to confirm

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
My VIN is 1GNUKJE38AR185360, thanks for your help and to the others for their help. Traded my 2009 Acadia to get more towing so hopefully I can.
Old June 15th, 2011, 2:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that VIN did not pull up in the link I gave you - you sure that is exactly right?
Old June 15th, 2011, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ousig2408
that VIN did not pull up in the link I gave you - you sure that is exactly right?
Yes I double checked. That site I went to also, I dont think it has 2010 suburbans yet.
Old June 15th, 2011, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Welp, after doing after purchase research instead of before purchase research, I have come to the conclusion that the front radiator is actually for the a/c as stated by ousig2408. I followed the lines. Also two diffrent customer service reps, Elizabeth from this forum and one I had previously contacted by email informed me no I dont have the transmission cooler. So since my current hybrid trailer is 4800 pounds loaded and around 450 tongue weight, I will not tell my wife what a screwup I am. The z82 is nothing more than a 7 pin plug with wiring and a trailer hitch rated at 500 pounds tongue weight and 5400 pounds of towing without a weight distribution hitch (which I use), to kick it up to 1100 pounds tongue weight and 10k towing. However suburban without a transmission cooler is only good for 5400 pounds towing. Transmission cooler kicks it up to around 7900 pounds. Ever heard the phrase "dont judge a book by its cover", applies here. Saw a big black suburban, read the hitch specs, told my wife wow, drove it off the lot. Thing is a beauty though and confortable. Acadia was rated at 5200 pounds towing with heavy duty cooling, tow package which I had, but it struggled. Thanks again for all the input.

Quick Reply: New Owner