Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oil and filter change

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2007, 4:49 PM
Administrator

Received 161 Likes on 159 Posts
Default RE: Oil and filter change

I got my PF-48 from my parts guy at the dealer for $4.50 ($.50 cheaper if I'd bought a case). Not much more than regular AC filters and a damn sight cheaper than those $30 Valeo wiper blades. As far as changing to synthetic, don't think it matters. Remember Corvettes come with Mobil 1.

As far as Jiffy lube goes, there are a number of horror stories about those places. Caveat emptor and you get what you pay for.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 4:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been waiting forever for Amsoil to come out with their EaO Oil filter for the tahoe. They told me that chevy changed the threads a bit on it, and they had to design and test it. It should be out any week now. You can go with their oil, but have to use a factory filter at reccomended intervals. I'm all about the 1yr oil and the 1yr filters! [/align][/align]But I've heard at least one change on the factory oil. Amsoil reccomends going on the factory until the DIC tells you to change it, then switch over.[/align]
Old March 3rd, 2007, 2:32 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can actually get these filters at your local auto parts store. I had to get one for my tahoe, I think it was at O'Reilys. It was a GM part as well. Then I took it to Jiffy Lube. I had them put Mobil 1 from the first oil change. I won't go back to reg oil. The manufacturers don't make the new oil filters yet, but I am sure they will soon. Has anyone heard of the TruFilter? The kind that you just clean and use again. Let us know if you have.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: P_RsTahoe

There is very good reason to use OEM filters. I used to use fram in previous vehicles and found that they were not holding the pressure. I was getting alot of dry starts. I have heard this from different people as well. Nothing but OEM for me from now on.
I agree 100%. The price difference at most is 2 dollars for OEM and not worth taking a chance. Most oil change places will even give you a credit towards the bill for bringing you own OEM filter.