Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oil Leak? - Pictures

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2013, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak? - Pictures

I purchased my 2008 Tahoe a little over 2 weeks ago. The last few days I have seen an oil drip where I park. I looked yesterday and could see a drip on the filter. I was able to tighten it by hand about a 1/4 turn more. I cleaned everything off and went for a short drive. I put cardboard under it and let it sit all night. This morning I didn't see any oil on the filter or cardboard. I drove to work this morning (mostly highway) which is about 25mins. I just looked again and I see a drop on the oil filter again. Any suggestions? It hasn't leaked the last few weeks till now. Nothing changed.

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Before I worry about it, I would try using an oil filter wrench to tighten it or try a new oil filter. Also make sure the gasket from the oil filter is not stuck to the engine.
Old December 16th, 2013, 1:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Before I worry about it, I would try using an oil filter wrench to tighten it or try a new oil filter. Also make sure the gasket from the oil filter is not stuck to the engine.
I agree with oldchevy.
Old December 16th, 2013, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

went by my parents after work today and grabbed an oil filter wrench. I was able to get about a 1/4 of a turn out of it before i felt like it bottomed out. Didn't want to "Heman" it and over tighten. Parked it with some cardboard under it tonight and will check tomorrow. If its still leaking i'm just gonna give it a new oil change.
Old December 16th, 2013, 8:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from the pictures it looks like its only coming from the seal around the filter. so i wouldn't worry too much about it. especially because the filter was loose already. so the tightening should do it. if not a new filter should
Old December 16th, 2013, 8:27 PM
CF Veteran

not shure but image 6 look,s like it has two gasket's stacked up like the old gasketgot left on it ,so both are stacked up .
Old December 16th, 2013, 9:23 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by old dog
not sure but image 6 look,s like it has two gasket's stacked up like the old gasket got left on it ,so both are stacked up .
Exactly, which is why you should always put a little oil on the new gasket before tightening the filter. He's lucky the second gasket didn't blow out and pump all of oil out on to the ground.

Dragon21: Check your oil level.
Old December 17th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get the old filter off, use some Scotch Brite with a little fresh oil on it, to scrub the filter seat on the Block.
I've found crap on some I've cleaned that was really hard to see.
Wipe it clean, and coat the gasket with fresh oil like Shark said.
I've always used a wrench, and turned it a little past recommended.

Remember, you've driven it with it leaking, and very probably some oil has blown back where it may drip still. Take a good look toward the rear of the filter, and wipe off any that you can get to.
Old December 17th, 2013, 5:38 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the responses. I am 99% sure the old gasket is not there also. I see what yall are saying about the picture and it does look like that. I will check again because now I am second guessing myself. But I did look for that. Oil level is fine, thats the first thing i checked when i saw the leak.

Didnt have any oil on the cardboard this morning, but when i go to work today and looked under, i saw a small streak down the side. It may be some that i wasnt able to clean from the top still. Im probably going to go ahead and change it this weekend just to be on the safe side. especially since ive only had the vehicle about 3 weeks.
Old December 17th, 2013, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

The black ring appears to be a shadow from the picture. Looking at it from the side it does not appear to have a second gasket. I am gonna watch it this week and if it continues i will change the filter this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak? - Pictures-image-713761715.jpg   Oil Leak? - Pictures-image-365717036.jpg