Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OMG HOOD DENTS WITH CONSISTENCY, CHECK YOURS! ZX HELP!

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2006, 9:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMG HOOD DENTS WITH CONSISTENCY, CHECK YOURS! ZX HELP!

Mine are right before the curve. I also noticed a couple after that are equally apart. I haven't opened the hood. Probably some SCHMO at the dealer closing the hood. I am going to take mine back to the dealer to see what they say. More than likely I will end up paying for the dent doctor.
Old October 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this on nhtsa.gov's TSB search:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : TAHOE Year : 2007
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Num : 060863001 Date of Bulletin: MAR 01, 2006
NHTSA Item Number: 10019883
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:HOOD
Summary:
HIGH CLOSING EFFORT OF HOOD. *TT

If you can get the info from GM maybe there's hope.
Old October 21st, 2006, 11:12 PM
CF Active Member

I've had my 04 Dodge Ram 1500 for 3 years, it has been to the shop once for a sun visor loosing its tension.

I've had my Tahoe since June and it has been to the shop 3 times, bug guard keeps cracking and the driver door keeps squeaking. I haven't checked for the dents yet, my wife went out with the girls tonight.

We love the Tahoe but I can agree with your frustration, when you spend that much money on a vehicle you expect certain things. I don't put much on GM, my biggest complaint is with my dealer. I think they are shady.

Kevin
Old October 21st, 2006, 11:53 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the info Jlenkows.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:15 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, not sure what the TSB is saying. I havent really had issues with any vehicle. SO what does that say/mean. That it is something that is an issue and GM will fix?

Please explain what exactly a TSB is. Who exactly wrote the one below, and what it means. Do you think this is related to the dent causing, or just something else that was an issue with the hood?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Unfortunately, I'm not about to drop $25 to the NHTSB (National Highway Transportation Safety Board) to find out. But... what it does mean is that there were complaints about it to the NHTSB and GM has issued a bulletin for the dealers with instrutions on how to deal with the issue.

The TSBs can be remedies or GM's offical position telling the dealership to tell the customer that "it is functioning as designed". It would then be up to the owners to challenge that statement.

Case in point: My 04 Avalanche was leaking lots of water into the cab under the rear d/s seat. GM on 10 occassions told me that it was operating as designed. When I showed them photos of the 6 gallons of water that entered the cab one night, and how the wires un the transition channel were under 1+ inches of water, they told me that the wires are insulated and that there is no problem. Then when a GM engineer (from Detroit) saw the amount of water entering the truck, he nearly had a heart attack when he was able to duplicate the problem on 4 brand spankin' new 2006 Av's on the dealer's lot - suddenly GM realized that it is not operating as designed.

They bought my Avalanche back at 2:00PM TODAY!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo.

Sorry - I was on a roll.

TSBs are not recalls. They are just docs that the manufacturer publishes for the dealers to refer to when a known issue arises. Sometimes there are parts replacement or modification instructions... sometimes just a reference to a page in the owner's manual.

Don't be afraid to make noise with your dealership. You spent over $40,000!!! You deserve to have your purchase operate and appear as a $40,000 vehicle should.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 2:32 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Document ID# 1794199
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: High Closing Effort of Hood (Align Hood Latch) #06-08-63-001 - (03/22/2006)

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

Attention: Due to design changes incorporating the addition of a gas charged assist strut, the way in which the vehicles hood closes is different from the previous GM full-size utility vehicles. Customers should be instructed to lower the hood slowly to the secondary latch position (hood lowered to first engagement point) then push down firmly on the front edge of the hood to securely close it. You must only push on the rolled top edge of the hood at the very front. Do not push farther back on any flat section of the hood as you may dent the metal. If an attempt is made to "slam" the hood from a wide open point, the resistance of the gas strut may overcome the users input, and result in high closing effort. If the hood is closed properly and excessive pressure is still required to engage the latch, follow this Service Bulletin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the hood is difficult or requires excessive pressure to latch.

Cause
The design of the new full-size vehicles listed above incorporates a gas strut to assist raising and holding the hood in a fully open position. When closing the hood you must first overcome the pressure of the gas hood strut, and then the secondary and primary hood latch positions. If the rubber bumpers are out of adjustment, or the hood latch is misaligned, excessive latching effort may be experienced.

Correction
Align the hood latch. Inspect and adjust the rubber hood bumpers as required using the following procedure.

Inspect the hood alignment for height, relative to the leading edge of the front fenders. This is the critical point for alignment to achieve good closing action.
Release the hood.
Notice: You must only push on the rolled top edge of the hood at the very front. Do not push farther back on any flat section of the hood as you may dent the metal.

If the hood was out of alignment, adjust the bumpers as needed to properly align the hood. Close and check the hood for proper alignment and closing action.
With the hood in the secondary latch position, you should be able to view the striker and the latch through the front opening of the hood.

Check the alignment of the striker. The striker should be centered in the primary latch as shown in the illustration above.
If the striker is out of alignment, loosen the three retaining bolts and adjust until the striker is centered.
Tip
You may wish to mark the latch position BEFORE adjusting to assist you in maintaining the original vertical alignment of the latch.

Secure the three latch retaining bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Confirm proper operation and effort to close the hood.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B1500
Hood and/or Latch Assembly - Align/Adjust
0.1-0.3 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1794199
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Dayummmmm... you're good.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info Dave.

Is there anything in particular one should say when they take it to the dealer to show them the issue?

Is it even worth trying to get this fixed for free by the dealership? Or should we just pay to have it fixed out of our pocket?

Lastly, I dont know if it is even worth fixing because i am afraid that it will continue to happen. Whether it is by the oil changer, or the dealership??
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:56 AM
CF Active Member

The dealer was quite clear on this issue when we picked up our Tahoe.....Best approach is open and close your own hood all the time..

Quick Reply: OMG HOOD DENTS WITH CONSISTENCY, CHECK YOURS! ZX HELP!