Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oxidized TPMS

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2007, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oxidized TPMS

My valve stems are all oxidized or at least they look so. My left rear valve stem cap wouldn't come off...with hand pressure the stem snapped. I have the older style with silver stems. Off to dealer Monday for replacement and further details.

I put the spare on...What a pain in the **** it is getting the spare down and off!!

Size comparison OEM 20s and OEM spare...20 is against but not on top of owners manual (kept rolling away)

[IMG]local://upfiles/3763/D3D09F6AF11B44659BD4E85E831D49D1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3763/FD2C2A0038EE4C41B01B61CF50F3E7E0.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 9th, 2007, 7:22 AM
CF Veteran

Default RE: Oxidized TPMS

I'm kinda suprised that no one else is conserned that the stemat the capoxidizes so fast that the threaded portionsnapsin halfwhen you remove the cap. I would suggest you check yours if you haven't had your caps off in awhile.
I suspect that maybe that's why they changed the design recently. Can anyone with the new rubber stems tell me what the threaded portion is made of? Is it brass now?
Old May 9th, 2007, 8:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tahoe07
Size comparison OEM 20s and OEM spare...20 is against but not on top of owners manual (kept rolling away)
My spare is 17" though I have Stock 20"s everywhere else.

How long did the tire change take? I always thought it would be a pain especially loading the flat back onto the spare tire carrier.
Old May 9th, 2007, 8:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just replaced my valve caps cause some douchbag stole 2. My Tahoe was built in October of 06 and comes equipped with what appears to be brass threads. Are yours steel? Mine are also the 20" stock wheels for an LTZ.
Old May 9th, 2007, 8:23 AM
CF Veteran

I used my floor jack so that helped. about 20 minutes. The hard part was cranking the spare down far enough to get some slack...You have to lift the spare way up to disconnect it from the cable. You can barely get to it while it's under the rear bumper (not enough cable to pull it out and still have slack to unhook it.) It's heavy and partly under the truck. You have to lift and bend and wrestle with the cable to convince it to release the rim. Tell your wife/GF to just call someone don't even bother.

do you have the new rubber stems?
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tahoe07
do you have the new rubber stems?
Nope, I have an early build with the metal stems. I just went out to check them and no oxidation I can see. I am guessing that yours are oxidized due to much harsher winter conditions that I have to deal with. Maybe you can get them replaced under warranty.

Thanks for the run down on how you changed the flat. I hope I never have to do that on the side of the interstate.
Old May 9th, 2007, 3:36 PM
CF Active Member

mine are the metal stems also, just checked all ok.
Old May 9th, 2007, 4:37 PM
CF Veteran

I dropped the rim/tire off and had them order the stem. None on hand and it was backordered...Tech just called and is talking to regional rep aboout replacing them all or just using the one (new style) that arrived when they ordered a replacement.

Warranty covered it of course but mine all look bad.
Worst one was the one that broke.

Ps. I have the stock spare in 17 that goes with the stock 20s. Just wanted to show the comparison as it was a topic awhile back.
Old May 9th, 2007, 8:32 PM
e
CF Senior Member

newer sensors here, the rubber ones and they appear to be brass like a regular stem. I just bought new sensors for the 24's last week and Doo600 is correct on the built after 10/06 with the newer stems. GM shows 2 sets.So I now have two sets one in the 24's and the ones in the factory 17's. I am assuming that you can not use the rubber ones in before 10/06 builds? I would think if you could they wouldn't offer both. I think the metal ones are using the metal as a antenna for the RF.
Old May 10th, 2007, 3:01 PM
CF Active Member

I have the metal stems also. But no oxidation. Of course living in the south, no salt on roads during the winter and do not live near the coast.

Quick Reply: Oxidized TPMS