Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power Liftgate Questions?

Old January 9th, 2012, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Liftgate Questions?

My 07 Burb started acting up similar to what others have posted about before. Power liftgate opens about 18" then goes back down. The liftgate is essentially useless as it is now. A few questions.........how does the liftgate connect to the arm on the liftgate motor? Is the rod that comes out of the DRIVERS SIDE of the burb and attaches to a ball stud on the liftgate itself attach to the motor or is that just another hydraulic lift assist? See white arrow in the pic..........

I'm trying to figure out how to get the liftgate open, so I can consider getting the drivers side quarter panel off to look at the whole mess.
I will NEVER AGAIN buy a viehicle with a power liftgate and WITHOUT a manual way of opening it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Power Liftgate Questions?-burb-liftgate.jpg  
Old January 10th, 2012, 8:52 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm not sure about the 07 but on later models pushing the front of the liftgate rocker switch on the overhead console puts the liftgate in manual mode. Might be worth a look.
Old January 10th, 2012, 1:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 07 I can open it manually OR Auto with no issue. To put it into full time manual mode look at the button on your headliner near the front of the vehicle. There should be a button there that has a picture of a rear gate opening up and a "dot" on the other end of the button. Push that "dot" and that should put your gate and full time manual mode.
Old January 10th, 2012, 2:17 PM
CF Junior Member

One other thing. Once you get the liftgate open manually, make sure the struts are not worn out. The power liftgate has an obstruction feature that will reverse the liftgate if it encounters an obstruction when opening. If the struts are worn the full weight of the liftgate may be viewed as an obstruction. This should be covered in the manual.
Old January 10th, 2012, 4:25 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

A way to check would be to open electrically and help it. If it still reverses, then probably not the struts.

Based on the fact that my wife's 2004 struts still work good, even in winter, I doubt the struts are bad but still worth checking.
Old January 11th, 2012, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

WOW! Or should I say Duh! I never knew that nor did I ever see any reference to manually opening the liftgate in numerous posts I read about liftgate problems! Thanks. I tried putting it in manual mode, pushed the rear switch, heard an electrical sound, the gate started to open, maybe 1" , then immediately re locked. Tried it several times, same thing, sounds like it's gonna open but re-locks.
I then put back in power mode, and the gate lifted, I helped it and it opened all the way, then made a loud clunk sound, dropped about 2 inches, then it SLOWLY started to lower, and I tried to support it and did so for 8-10 seconds, then it powered closed. I tried it again, and it went up about 80% of the way, then powered closed right away. What the................?!

I will look in the manual as soon as I have a chance, to see if there is a certain way I need to go about opening it in manual mode, hopefully I was doing something wrong.
Mike
Old January 11th, 2012, 2:39 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm not sure I understand how you tried to open it in manual mode. If you squeeze the handle (inside) it will unlock and then you have to manually lift it. If in automatic mode you can squeeze the handle and let go and it will open. Open it in manual mode and see if the struts will hold it in the full up position. It doesn't sound like it will and is why it dropped 2 inches before the automatic close took over.

Per the manual, besides an obstruction feature the liftgate also has a feature where it will slowly close if the struts are worn out. It still sounds like you have worn out struts.

Last edited by HOE-N-IT; January 11th, 2012 at 2:47 PM.
Old January 11th, 2012, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

HOE-N-IT,
You may be right. At lunch, I tried the power lift again, but really lifted the gate and held it there. The gate would come down if I let off at all on supporting the gate. I will have to go get some new liftgtgate struts at the dealers I guess. Anyone had good luck with aftermarket struts? Might see if Car quest or A-line has an equivalent. Do you know if I have to have dealer re-calibrate the sensors or module etc.. with the new struts? That would add $45 or so to the price tag. Even so, cheaper by far that replacing lift motor or module if it solves the problem!

As for the attempt at manually opening the gate, I put the headliner switch in manual mode, then used the switch on the back of the gate (same one you use to power lift the gate-actually it is inside of the handle if that was what you were talking about). But got the same result, humming for 2 seconds, sounds like might unlatch, but can see the gate ratchet back down to locked position.
Thanks again.....

Last edited by doktrred; January 11th, 2012 at 3:21 PM.
Old January 11th, 2012, 4:37 PM
CF Junior Member

In manual mode, when you press inside the handle what you hear is the liftgate unlocking. It will move a little bit to. If you don't manually lift it at that point it will re-lock after a few seconds.

I don't know anything about aftermarket struts. I doubt you will need to re-calibrate anything. I'm not sure if it even has a calibration.
Old June 24th, 2016, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default I'm having the exact same issue-what ended up being the problem?

I'm having he exact same issue that you described. What ended up being the problem?
Originally Posted by doktrred
HOE-N-IT,
You may be right. At lunch, I tried the power lift again, but really lifted the gate and held it there. The gate would come down if I let off at all on supporting the gate. I will have to go get some new liftgtgate struts at the dealers I guess. Anyone had good luck with aftermarket struts? Might see if Car quest or A-line has an equivalent. Do you know if I have to have dealer re-calibrate the sensors or module etc.. with the new struts? That would add $45 or so to the price tag. Even so, cheaper by far that replacing lift motor or module if it solves the problem!

As for the attempt at manually opening the gate, I put the headliner switch in manual mode, then used the switch on the back of the gate (same one you use to power lift the gate-actually it is inside of the handle if that was what you were talking about). But got the same result, humming for 2 seconds, sounds like might unlatch, but can see the gate ratchet back down to locked position.
Thanks again.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Liftgate Questions?