Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power Liftgate Questions?

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2016, 5:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If the struts are worn out, the door is now too heavy and the motor senses the increased resistance as an obstacle, and reverses, closing the door.

I would expect that replacing the two struts will cure the problem. No need to re-calibrate anything.
Old June 28th, 2016, 5:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question for you all. My lift gate stopped working. when I press the tail gate I hear a motor in the tail gate that runs and sounds broken. I read somewhere its the tailgate latch that is broken.
Is that true?
if so what is its name so I can look it up on rock auto
Old June 29th, 2016, 3:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi man, do you think installing glass protector might impact the weight of the liftgate. since i install the protector, liftgate runs manuals
Old June 30th, 2016, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2011TACO
I'm having he exact same issue that you described. What ended up being the problem?
Sorry I never posted back I guess. Turns out one or both of the assist rods( I think that's what they are called) were shot. There are two on the liftgate(one on either side), they are black in color and assist the opening of the gate and holds it in place. I ordered some from Rock Auto and my problem was solved. Took 10 minutes to replace. Should work for you IF you have the same problem.
Old June 30th, 2016, 9:31 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011TACO
I'm having he exact same issue that you described. What ended up being the problem?
Be sure to support the lift gate with a 2X4 before you disconnect the gas springs (struts) as it is very heavy and will hurt you.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Is it okay to partially close and tie down the lift gate on our 2015 Traverse when carrying a kayak longer than the inside deck?
Old May 14th, 2020, 7:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default Power liftgate disengaged

when I bought my 2008 LTZ Tahoe, it was previously owned by a rather short older woman. She had the power liftgate disassembled. Since she sold through a broker, I was unable to speak directly to her and inquire if she kept the disassembled parts. I now am interested and having the power liftgate reassembled. currently, the motor engages when I open the liftgate, but the actuator is totally missing. does anyone have a link to a video, or a DIY instructional that can guide me in the fix. It would be nice if anyone also knew the actual part number of the power lift actuator . thank you in advance
Old June 3rd, 2020, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default Cannot solve Chevy Liftgate issue

2009 Suburban. Replaced liftgate struts on either side. In manual mode, liftgate goes up and stays up. However in automatic mode, it goes up 75% of height and something triggers and it re shuts (this would normally be indicative of liftgate struts, but those have been replaced).

Not sure what is triggering this. Anyone had similar issues? If this is a faulty sensor, where is it located and how does one check to see if it is faulty.

Also - after replacing the struts, the problem did not go away. Ordinarily you would not need to reset anything, but is there a reset on these (or I suppose I could just disconnect the battery).

Thanks for any help out there.