Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power wire from engine bay to inside tahoe

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2008, 2:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power wire from engine bay to inside tahoe

Hi,

I'm running a power wire to battery from inside the vehicle. Is there any factory holes I can wire through? Or factory grommets/rubber plug that I can make a hole for a wire?

My old F150 had a rubber plug on floorboard in rear drivers corner by door and another in the firewall near gas petal.

Any help on this would keep me from drilling a new hole. Thanks.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 4:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Power wire from engine bay to inside tahoe

I found 3 spots.

Two are on the same on both drivers and passengers sides. You have to get under the vehicle by the doors and look for a rubber grommet with no wires on it. If you use either of these you'll have to fish the wires through the frame area of the body to the side panel on either side(under dash). These seem more tedious.

A third spot is on the passenger side. It is a grommet but its painted so it looks like metal. Its goes right into passenger side near right corner bolt of seat....not too close, but closest spot. Its relatively easy to use this one.

Its also better to run from passenger side, since battery is there and there are wires to follow up(wire tie to) right to the battery area.

I'll be running the wire later today. Shouldnt take but 5 or 10 minutes.

Watch out when removing the interior trim pieces, as I broke the end clips on the door sile trim piece. No big deal cause the center three clips(big ones) didn't break. On the side panel there are 2 similar big clips that you have to watch out for too. I broke one of these. But at least one is still good. The carpet and other trim piece will keep it in place.

Man GM is using cheap plastics. My old chevy plastic trim parts took a beating and didn't even break after 15 years!

Enjoy the info and good luck if you needed it.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Power wire from engine bay to inside tahoe

Nevermind about the two spots that have rubber grommets. They are entrance to the body frame but it doesn't have access from inside.

I ended up using the grommet that was the easiest but it was a metal grommet with a rubber trim, so i drilled a hole and put a grommet. At least if I want to reverse the hole, I can get a new plug from GM.