Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

RAP Relay Location?

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RAP Relay Location?

Does anybody know the location of the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) Relay in a 2007-2014 Yukon/Tahoe?
Thanks
Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Retained Accessory Power Description and Operation

• The RAP/Spare relay is permanently soldered to the left I/P junction block and is non-serviceable.

• The RAP mode for the radio and door modules is a separate function and will still operate properly.

Service Information
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1672944
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Retained Accessory Power Description and Operation
Retained Accessory Power (RAP)
The retained accessory power (RAP) system allows specific vehicle functions to operate for a specific amount of time after the ignition switch is turned OFF. The BCM monitors the ignition switch position, battery condition, and each door open/closed status to determine whether RAP should be initiated or terminated. RAP is controlled with 2 different methods; serial data and relay control. The relay is internal to the BCM and feeds multiple external components. Some modules receive a RAP message over the serial data circuits. Serial data controlled RAP is deactivated as required by their modules RAP power mode operation. Other subsystems are activated directly by the BCM through the internal RAP relay. Components and systems that are active in RAP are also activated anytime the ignition is any position other than OFF regardless of the door switch signals.

The BCM sends a serial data power mode message ending the RAP function when one of the following conditions are met:

• The BCM receives an input indicating the opening of any passenger compartment door after the ignition key is out of the ignition.

Important: The only door that will turn off the radio during RAP is the driver door. This is a function of the radio and will still turn off after the time limit.

• The BCM internal timer for RAP expires after approximately 10 minutes.

• The BCM detects a decrease in battery voltage below a calibrated limit.

Relay Control of Retained Accessory Power (RAP)
The body control module (BCM) keeps the internal RAP relay energized during all power modes, except Off-Awake and Crank. The relay is also energized for approximately 10 minutes after shutting the ignition OFF and removing the key, providing no door is opened. The BCM will de-energize the internal RAP relay at the same time the serial data message is sent to end RAP. When the internal RAP relay is energized voltage is applied on the accessory voltage circuit at BCM harness connector X5 terminal 11.

The devices powered by the internal RAP relay during the RAP power mode are the sunroof (CF5), the RAP/Spare PCB relay, and if equipped with RPO 9L4, the radio module fuse block relay A.

Serial Data Control of Retained Accessory Power (RAP)
RAP systems controlled by serial data are as follows:

Power Windows
Window RAP activation/termination timing is the same as relay operation. The front window switches are separate modules that operate the windows on their respective side of the vehicle.

Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM) (Onstar®)
VCIM RAP activation/termination is the same as radio operation with 1 exception; if there is an active call when the ignition key is turned off the VCIM will remain in RAP mode and keep the radio in RAP mode until the call is terminated.

Radio
Radio RAP activation/termination is the same as relay operation with 1 exception; the only door switch that will turn off the radio during RAP is the driver door open switch.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 2:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, the way I am understanding the "issue" I have is that the radio is not turning off (intermittently) when the drivers door is opened. Opening another door has no effect on shutting down the radio so that "supposedly" eliminates the door switch itself and points to the RAP relay? So if that relay is non-serviceable what do you do?
Thanks, Gene
Old April 23rd, 2015, 9:43 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it is your door latch assembly.....
Old April 24th, 2015, 8:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

"the only door switch that will turn off the radio during RAP is the driver door open switch".

Does the dome lamp respond to the opening/closing of the door?
Old February 22nd, 2016, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello guys I ran across this session while looking up RAP on my 1999 Silverado, my issue is several relays, I m not sure but I think my truck is one of a kind, here's what I see when I take the fuse panel off on the drivers side, I got a 5 pole relay that shows in this order 85, 87A, 87, then in the middle is on pole labeled RAP#1, lastly I have 30 and 86, this relay will get very hot to the touch as well as relay(s) 13500114, both of these are one the floor to the left of the drivers foot, all 3 of these relays has something to do with the interior lights, shutting off power to the radio and windows as the driver door is opened, the windows work fine a little slow goring up but I can deal with that, both doors have been completely redone everything in each door is brand new, the BCM is new and has been reprogrammed twice to see if it was set correctly the first time, the ECM has been replace and reprogrammed, I had a new alarm installed yet these 3 relays get hot as fire, most times when I shut the truck off for just a few minutes and try to restart, the vehicle must set for 10 to 30 minutes before it will restart, I had a starter by pass installed but nothing has helped to cool down these relays and to cure the no start issue, I replaced both battery cables, checked and cleaned all ground points, she still won't work right, I had a mechanic to check my truck out with a Tech2 and he told me he could fix my truck for $3500.00 but no gurantees, I passed on that deal, my next move is to replace the entire wireing harness. anyone got any ideas please let me know. Almost forgot my Temperature Actuator will not work at all #52474810, holler back if anyone gets an idea.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 7:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mama4252
...relay will get very hot to the touch as well as relay(s) 13500114, both of these are one the floor to the left of the drivers foot, all 3 of these relays has something to do with the interior lights, shutting off power to the radio and windows as the driver door is opened, .... I had a new alarm installed yet these 3 relays get hot as fire,
Are they getting hot even when the truck is OFF?
Relays get hot when they have too much current passing through them, or they're defective (high resistance contacts).
Try pulling the RDO-1 fuse, and the PWR WNO CB to see if the RAP relay still gets hot.
Is the alarm system an after-market unit? Could it be pulling too much current through these relays?
I'd try to unplug the alarm system to see if it's causing these relays to get hot.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by a55bruce
Relays get hot when they have too much current passing through them, or they're defective (high resistance contacts).
Try pulling the RDO-1 fuse, and the PWR WNO CB to see if the RAP relay still gets hot.
Is the alarm system an after-market unit? Could it be pulling too much current through these relays?
I'd try to unplug the alarm system to see if it's causing these relays to get hot.
Hey: my friend thanks for replying so quickly, I will try your suggestions as soon as I get a minute, right now it's raining and I really don't know where the shop installed the hot feed for the alarm without disconnecting the battery, but I will get back with you as soon as possible. by the way I had the alarm installed to by pass that GM VATS system because my truck would get me out in on where land and refuse to start for up to an hour at times. I will be in touch.
Old March 5th, 2016, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hot Rap Relays

Originally Posted by a55bruce
Hi: a55Bruce as far as I can tell the relay on the side of the dash only gets hot when the vehicle is running, yes an after market alarm has been installed and I m positive they somehow tapped into that relay, but on the other hand the two relays on the floor I think that controls the interior lighting has always been very hot to the touch, I replaced the starter, the positive and negative battery cables, I even installed a zero ground strap from the truck body to the engine, I noticed right off my after market alarm did not like the zero ground, that alarm went out the same day, I had to take it back to the shop and they added new parts to get the alarm to work again, however before the zero ground strap was added my old factory alarm would not work at all, doors would not lock or unlock but now with the new zero ground strap both doors lock and unlock, except the driver door, you can hear the actuator clicking when you press the lock button on the fob but the driver door never locks the alarm sets but the door will not lock, I know my whole issue is with the ground on this truck but where that issue is located I have no idea, I have removed and cleaned every ground strap on this truck from the front to the back and yet I still can't figure out why these relays are getting so hot, cheap material in part is most of the problem with these new vehicles but then you can't get the recall guys to demand a recall even when they know a recall should be done. I will keep you posted if I find out something new, and if you come up with something let me know, boy I wish I knew someone with a tech2, we could isolate this problem and have it fixed in no time, I know a lot of people who call themselves mechanics but none will admit to owning a tech2, I have a nephew who had a tech2 about 6 years ago but he went down with a massive stroke and he has not been the same since. anyway keep me informed.
Old May 18th, 2019, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1999 Silverado Same Issues

[QUOTE=mama4252 Hello guys I ran across this session while looking up RAP on my 1999 Silverado, my issue is several relays, I m not sure but I think my truck is one of a kind, here's what I see when I take the fuse panel off on the drivers side, I got a 5 pole relay that shows in this order 85, 87A, 87, then in the middle is on pole labeled RAP#1, lastly I have 30 and 86, this relay will get very hot to the touch as well as relay(s) 13500114, both of these are one the floor to the left of the drivers foot, all 3 of these relays has something to do with the interior lights, shutting off power to the radio and windows as the driver door is opened, the windows work fine a little slow goring up but I can deal with that, both doors have been completely redone everything in each door is brand new, the BCM is new and has been reprogrammed twice to see if it was set correctly the first time, the ECM has been replace and reprogrammed, I had a new alarm installed yet these 3 relays get hot as fire, most times when I shut the truck off for just a few minutes and try to restart, the vehicle must set for 10 to 30 minutes before it will restart, I had a starter by pass installed but nothing has helped to cool down these relays and to cure the no start issue, I replaced both battery cables, checked and cleaned all ground points, she still won't work right, I had a mechanic to check my truck out with a Tech2 and he told me he could fix my truck for $3500.00 but no gurantees, I passed on that deal, my next move is to replace the entire wireing harness. anyone got any ideas please let me know. Almost forgot my Temperature Actuator will not work at all #52474810, holler back if anyone gets an idea.[/QUOTE]
I have no idea what i' m doing here but wss q rap#1 and a few other relays all do not work, but i noticed this young man had has the same issues i have but i can't find a mechanic that will touch my 1999 silverado, now i have installed a new bmc, and ecm, both have been flashed three times so no problems there, aftermarket radio and alarm installed and double checked with no issues, my volt, temp, fuel and oil guages all flicker only when i use my turn signal, zero dash and tail lights at night, i have changed the temp actuator on the passenger side four times and it still won't set properly, i checked all the grounds no issues, all fuses are good, but i did find six relays that are burnt out, they are Rap#1 12193612 side fuse panel drivers side, starter relay 12193614 main fuse box, HDLP 12193614 main fuse box, ignition relay 12193614 main fuse box and two relays 13502752 on the floor drivers side i'm betting most of my problems are with one or all of these relays, hope this help someone.

Quick Reply: RAP Relay Location?