Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear seat comparison and opinions

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear seat comparison and opinions

Does anyone prefer the captains chairs to the rear split bench. What advantages and or disadvantages have you experienced or noticed. We are talking the 2007 and up tahoes and suburbans.

I have never had the rear buckets and at first glance I don't like them.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 8:32 AM
CF Junior Member

It's going to boil down to your personal preference and needs. With the Captians access to the 3rd row can be between the seats as well as folding the seats. With the bench you have seating for one more if needed. Also with the bench you get a fold down arm rest and cup holder if you need it but you can get an accessory console for the chairs.

I have a LTZ which comes standard with the Captains but I ordered it with the bench. I will never use the 3rd row. I even removed the plastic guides for installing the 3rd row so the cargo area would be level. With the bench I have seating for 5 but seldom need it. I happen to think the bench is a cleaner look but others think the captains are cool. Both are good so just decide what you want.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

As mentioned, the pass through feature, rather than having to fold the bench, makes life easy on my kids.
It keeps my twins away from each other, so there's less, "DADDY, HE'S TOUCHING ME!" coming from that area too, haha.
The best part to me, is the reclining feature of the buckets in my '09. Very easy to get comfy. The bench in my '02 did not recline, so passengers were forced to sit one way. However, that may have changed with the newer models, I'm not 100 percent sure.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 7:30 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

I've had the chairs in both of mine and like it for the classy look and function when just four people are going. And the recline feature is nice.

Wife has second row bench (2004) and that works well when hauling a bunch of kids.

So it just depends on what your needs and desires are.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 8:45 PM
CF Junior Member

My last Suburban, a 1500, had the 60/40 second row bench. Folding one section to allow access into and out of the third row was always difficult and became more of a pain as the 'Burb got older.

Now that I'm planning on fewer passengers and doing more towing, I have a 2500 with the captain's chairs. They're much more comfortable for the 2nd row people and quicker and easier to reach the 3rd row when it's needed. Of course, if I add the 2nd row console--which I didn't know existed when I bought this truck--then I'll have to figure out if and how the buckets fold out of the way.

It depends on your needs for the length of time you'll own the vehicle. If you haul half the high school band, the bench is the way to go. If you want to carry fewer people in greater comfort, choose the buckets.

1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL (Wife's)
1998 Mercedes Benz S420 (Wife's)
1995 Mercedes Benz C280 (Daughter's)

2007 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 3LT (MINE)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousine (awaiting restoration)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Thank you for the replies, and your opinions. I appreciate them all. The captains chairs do fold, if they did not, this was dead in the water. Not often but every once in a while I need to carry long stuff.

I had two trucks delivered and elected to keep one with the seats and wait for another built in August or September, with the split bench.
I also like the recline feature and the ability to get in the third row via the space.
And my wife loves the red. It's sharp looking.
Old May 25th, 2012, 5:08 AM
CF Active Member

I have the bench seat in the 2nd row. Took me a long time to find it as most are with the captains.
Did not want to give up a seat, and acsess to the rear is not that bad.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

I only haul my dogs and have the captains chairs. The dogs love them. They walk to the back of the truck and come all the way up to see me squeezing through the captains chairs. Keeps them off the seats too. win win for me.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chickensandwich
I only haul my dogs and have the captains chairs. The dogs love them. They walk to the back of the truck and come all the way up to see me squeezing through the captains chairs. Keeps them off the seats too. win win for me.
Funny thing but believe it or not, I just got a pointer puppy a month ago and the wife felt the captain chairs were better for him too.

As luck would have it the 2013 will offer two different blue colors. I wanted a blue color so this works out for me. Yippie
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Suburbinator
As mentioned, the pass through feature, rather than having to fold the bench, makes life easy on my kids.
It keeps my twins away from each other, so there's less, "DADDY, HE'S TOUCHING ME!" coming from that area too, haha.
The best part to me, is the reclining feature of the buckets in my '09. Very easy to get comfy. The bench in my '02 did not recline, so passengers were forced to sit one way. However, that may have changed with the newer models, I'm not 100 percent sure.
This. Also, when going somewhere with 4 adults I prefer the buckets. Just feels nicer. Our Suburban LT with 4 buckets feels almost like a conversion van on the inside.