Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2006, 10:59 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Remote Start

ZX,

Thanks for the reply, it seemed as though I had to hit the lock before it starts.

However, i am going to put a viper 5900 on my tahoe. It is the new viper that is replacing the 791xv. It has a range of 1 mile to whereas the 791 was 1/2 mile. They are using some new technology that has that range. I have had 3 of the viper 791's and they are awesome.
Old October 5th, 2006, 1:03 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds neat I guess, I just can't think of any reason that I would need to be able to start the car a mile away, let alone half a mile.
I also can't stand the thought of some dim-wit stereo installer splicing wires into my new vehicles electrical system.
Old October 5th, 2006, 2:11 AM
CF Addict

ZX,

I need the range. I park almost 1/2-1 mile away from my office. When it is 0 outside and snowing it is great to get into a warm vehicle when you finally get to it. The remote also notifies you when it starts, if it is tampered with, the status of the system, etc.

As for the installer splicing wires. Better someone who is paid to do it than myself!
Old October 5th, 2006, 11:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats gonna be a costly install considering the 07 tahoe uses a can bus system which means you either need a can2 bypass module from dei or u need to go into the doors to get ur keyless entry to work on the after market alarm. as far as the 1 mile range i doubt that is true because it all depends on the area that ur in and the surround frequencies. however i do believe its gonna allow you to remote start ur truck from a longer distance than the 791xv which had a decent distance.
Old October 6th, 2006, 2:08 AM
CF Addict

xclusive,

Installed Viper 5900 is $550 retail, however I am a frequent customer and got a quote for $450! That is system and install.
Old October 8th, 2006, 1:17 AM
CF Beginner

In regard to range, you may want to check out a Canadian company called Astroflex, who manufacture remote start systems branded under the AstroStart name. They manufacture a range booster/interface for the GM factory remote start system. I had an AstroStart remote starter installed in my 1999 Expedition back in late 1998. Still worked flawlessly when I traded the vehicle in seven and one-half years later.
Old October 8th, 2006, 1:22 AM
CF Beginner

The GM remote start system also has a feature that prevents using the remote starter more than twice between starts with the ignition key. You have to turn the ignition switch to the "on" position in order to re-enable the remote starter for two more starting cycles.
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:09 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: biglg

xclusive,

Installed Viper 5900 is $550 retail, however I am a frequent customer and got a quote for $450! That is system and install.
thats great deal. however, i dont think the shop u went to actually knows how complex the new 2007 tahoes are. In order to do keyless entry u need to go into both front doors because its 5 wire doorlocks, but its not your typical 5 wire and the wiring is extremely complex. also to get ur door pin u will hav to go into all the doors. u mite want to check with them again, not to mention you need to have either lose a key or get another key made to be placed in the dei 556uw. trust me its a pain in the *** and the dei can2 adapter isn't coming out supposed isnt coming out til the end of november and probably will be quite pricing. i installed the python 990 and it took about 10 hours because the doorlocks were such a pain in the *** and i actually do the installs for a living.
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:06 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PaulC

The GM remote start system also has a feature that prevents using the remote starter more than twice between starts with the ignition key. You have to turn the ignition switch to the "on" position in order to re-enable the remote starter for two more starting cycles.

Was this a question? Did I miss something?
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:30 PM
CF Addict

xclusive,

Can you hook me up with just the alarm kit and I can have it installed here? What kind of price and you sell me just the kit for? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Remote Start