Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

roof rack swap

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2007, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roof rack swap

hey everyone, as you can see i am very new to this site. i have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL with a factory roof rack. i would like to get a '04 Cadillac Escalade ESV roof rack thatspainted the same color as my yukon and put it on. does anyone know what is invlolved in this swap or has anyone here done it? any info would be great, thank you...
Old April 2nd, 2007, 4:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: roof rack swap

I have been looking into this swap as well, actually going from my stock LT rack to a Z71 style..... I dunno the logistics yet though, just an idea I have been thinking about. I would think from a manufacturing standpoint that all the racks screw into a common hole. It just doesn't make fiscal sense to have to drill different holes on the same body for three different style of racks. Take a good look at your rack and how it attaches and look at the one you wanna put on??
Old April 29th, 2007, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: roof rack swap

Do you plan to carry something specific on the roof rack? If you are only going to be using it occasionally for carrying stuff like a canoe, ladder, lumber or something similar then the after-market roof rack from Thule Racks could be a solution. The Thule 450 Crossroad car rack system mounts directly to the Yukon XL roof rack siderails, providing a strong platform for all kinds of loads. You can then take the 450 Crossroad off really easily too when you don't need it...