Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Saying Hi, and a QuestionH

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2015, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saying Hi, and a QuestionH

Hello everyone, new guy here with a question. I'll be selling my Silverado soon and replacing it with a Tahoe.

I'm looking for one with 4x4 and the HD tow package, I see some listed with a 3.08 rear end gear but I really want a 3.42.

Does the 4x4 automatically come with a 3.42?

Thanks BV
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:33 PM
CF Active Member

It depends how it was ordered when new. My 99 Tahoe 4dr LS 2wd was ordered with 373 positraction tow package. That is a really all around gear since essentially you have a 5 speed automatic with the o/d. I know 4x4 is popular, but maintenance is more costly especially tires. JMHO, good luck.
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the Glovebox, you'll find a placard with RPO Codes thereon.
Find one starting with a "G", followed by a "#".
This will give you your Axel Ratios.

Examples by in2pro...
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...47/#post303606

If one of these are not what you have, you can do a lookup on the Codes.

Last edited by SWHouston; June 18th, 2015 at 3:35 AM.
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:21 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tahoe

If you plan to tow, may I suggest the Suburban?

Also, you may want to specify year as well.

09 added the 6 speed auto (vs. the old 4).

Or are you buying one new? I think they are up to an 8 speed.
Old June 17th, 2015, 11:14 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for a 5.3 with 3:73, not many out there but worth the search.
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by justimagination
It depends how it was ordered when new. My 99 Tahoe 4dr LS 2wd was ordered with 373 positraction tow package. That is a really all around gear since essentially you have a 5 speed automatic with the o/d. I know 4x4 is popular, but maintenance is more costly especially tires. JMHO, good luck.
These trucks never came with positraction. Positraction is a limited-slip differential with clutch packs, and it requires a special additive in the rear axle fluid, a friction modifier, to prevent chatter.

The G80 is a locking rear differential. Big difference. It mechanically locks the two rear wheels together; unlike a positraction rear.

Gear ratio is independent of whether it's a 4x4. Generally speaking, the higher gear ratios will be linked with the towing package.

I agree with one of the above posters - a Suburban is a much better tow vehicle than a Tahoe.
Old June 18th, 2015, 5:27 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the help everyone, the search goes on!
Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:34 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by intheburbs
These trucks never came with positraction. Positraction is a limited-slip differential with clutch packs, and it requires a special additive in the rear axle fluid, a friction modifier, to prevent chatter.

The G80 is a locking rear differential. Big difference. It mechanically locks the two rear wheels together; unlike a positraction rear.

Gear ratio is independent of whether it's a 4x4. Generally speaking, the higher gear ratios will be linked with the towing package.

I agree with one of the above posters - a Suburban is a much better tow vehicle than a Tahoe.
Just to be political correct here, I am going to share with any who may be interested, the build sheet as well as the CO(window sticker)this is the correct listing from GM. i kept all the original paper work when purchased NEW listing @ just over 32K.

GT4 AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO 3.73R(GT4)
G80 AXLE REAR POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP POSITRACTION L/SLIP
R/AXLE(G80)

Since my interest in cars started before any type of rear axle option, whether it be positration/traction lock/Detroit locker/Limited Slip or whatever, the slang of posi traction has been around. They all do the same, lock the rear wheels. JMHO
Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by justimagination
Just to be political correct here, I am going to share with any who may be interested, the build sheet as well as the CO(window sticker)this is the correct listing from GM. i kept all the original paper work when purchased NEW listing @ just over 32K.

GT4 AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO 3.73R(GT4)
G80 AXLE REAR POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP POSITRACTION L/SLIP
R/AXLE(G80)

Since my interest in cars started before any type of rear axle option, whether it be positration/traction lock/Detroit locker/Limited Slip or whatever, the slang of posi traction has been around. They all do the same, lock the rear wheels. JMHO
The bolded sentence is incorrect. Yes, they're used interchangeably sometimes, and even by GM itself. But the two are very different.

I don't know how else to describe it - a positraction uses clutchpacks, and the two axle shafts are never truly joined together.

The G80 mechanically locks the two rear axles together. It doesn't have clutches.

The positraction is a LIMTED SLIP. Key word is SLIP. A limited slip still allows slip between the two axles. The G80 does not.

Watch this video - and see the difference between a limited-slip and the G80.

Old July 5th, 2015, 1:28 AM
CF Active Member

Sometimes it's just not worth the argument. I have to stand by my background of knowledge and the paper work that came with my $32k 1999 Tahoe LS 4dr 2WD.

Last edited by justimagination; July 5th, 2015 at 1:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Saying Hi, and a QuestionH