Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Service 4 wheel drive light on. Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2015, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service 4 wheel drive light on. Clicking noise

We got an 04 burb a while back with a 5.3 liter and 4x4. When I got it the 4x4 indicator light showed it was running in 4 low when indeed it was not. Even at highway speeds the light was on. At times it would say it was in neutral and 4 hi and 4 lo even when I was driving down the highway. At times I could stop and put it in neutral and all the 4x4 buttons would work correctly and it would shift in any range I pushed and the 4x4 would work fine. I replaced the 4x4 switch with a dorman and it did not change anything, service 4x4 light still on and light would show different ranges were on when indeed they were not. I didn't worry to much about cause I would rarely need the 4x4. We took a 700 mile trip last week in it and everything was flawless even tho at times it showed it was in 4 lo at 75 mph. So I got a new hitch for my camper today and wanted to mount it and go out for a test tow pulling my camper weighing 5,000 pounds. Its the first time I had pulled camper with the burb and (I did have burb in tow mode). I drove 8 miles on 2 lane roads at 55 mph and then 7 miles on interstate at 65 and then started 8 mile trek back home on another 2 lane road at 55 and I began hearing an off and on clicking noise and possibly a lurch each time I heard the noise, It was hard to tell. I heard it every 10 to 15 seconds. The 2hi light had been on the whole trip. There was no place to pull over for a long while so I drove slow with window down and listened and Im thinking the clicking was coming from under front of burb. I just felt like the 4x4 was trying to engage but I can't be sure. So when I got to a place I could stop I put burb in neutral and pushed 4hi and 4lo and no response at all. I shut the burb off and turned it back on, put in neutral and pushed 4 lo and felt it engage, went back to 2 hi and felt it disengage, did the same for 4 hi and back to 2 hi and also felt engage and disengage.
So I took off again and the clicking was gone. I am just wondering what else could be wrong besides the switch? Thanks for the help.