Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Shifter mechanism cable to ignition removal.

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2020, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter mechanism cable to ignition removal.

Hello!

I am working on a 2002 Suburban, replacing the shifter mechanism due to a broken return spring to the shift lever. I mostly have it done except for one cable that runs from the lock cylinder to the shift mechanism. Seems to lock it in park unless the key is turned on. I removed the cable on the old one at the shifter mechanism. Leaving the cable attached at the lock cylinder. The new mechanism comes with a new cable already installed, but the screws used to secure it are very tight and I am afraid of stripping them. I would like to remove the old cable from the lock cylinder and insert the new one there. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove it. In the picture below you can see both cables. The old one is connected lower right of the lock cylinder, black connector, and looped on itself where the other end (white) is right next to it. On the new shift mechanism you can see where that white piece is already installed under that black metal piece in the column shifter mechanism. The lock cylinder end of the cable seems to have a notch that engages with the lock cylinder somehow. Even though I release the catch it won't pull out due to this notch engaging something internally. Anyone know how to release this thing from the lock cylinder? Thanks for any help you can give!

Last edited by lightflyer1; January 18th, 2020 at 5:57 PM.
Old January 18th, 2020, 6:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Just as one that's not done this, but I would suggest remove the instrument cluster, 4 7mm screws, and two electrical connections on the back.
Old January 18th, 2020, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

Why? Everything is accessible as is. I just need to know how to remove the cable from the ignition lock assembly. You must have misunderstood my question.
Old January 19th, 2020, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by lightflyer1
Why? Everything is accessible as is. I just need to know how to remove the cable from the ignition lock assembly. You must have misunderstood my question.
I found the answer finally in another you tube video. After removing the lock cylinder turn the mechanism with something back to the park/lock position. There is a rectangular shaped indentation inside the hole where the lock cylinder came out of. Turn that back to the off position. Then the cable is supposed to just slide out. Insert the new cable and then rotate the mechanism back to the run position. Replace lock cylinder.
Old November 1st, 2020, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

I found the answer finally in another you tube video. After removing the lock cylinder turn the mechanism with something back to the park/lock position. There is a rectangular shaped indentation inside the hole where the lock cylinder came out of. Turn that back to the off position. Then the cable is supposed to just slide out. Insert the new cable and then rotate the mechanism back to the run position. Replace lock cylinder.
Im doing this same thing, I can get the cable out, insert the new one, but I can't get it to turn all the way back to the run position so I can re install the cylinder
Old November 1st, 2020, 5:45 PM
CF Beginner

You have to do it in the reverse order you took it out. Keep trying I didn't get it over 24 hours.
Old November 2nd, 2020, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Lightflyer and Jaydavie: Welcome to the forum.
Old December 7th, 2020, 10:56 AM

Default Shift Interlock Cable 2007 Cevy Silverado LT 4X4 5.3

Where did you find the Part number and where did you order it? I have a 2007 Silverado LT 5.3 4X4. I broke the tab that holds it in before I saw your post on how to slide it out. Thanks
Old January 13th, 2024, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Where did you buy the cable? I Googled the crap out of it and can't find it.