Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Should my rotors look like this?

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2009, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should my rotors look like this?

On my 07 Tahoe with 30K the brake pads don't seem to completely contacting the rotors on all four wheels. When I showed my service manager at the dealer he said it was fine and not to worry about it. After some pushing, he agreed to turn the rotors, but I think at a minimum the brake pads should also be resurfaced/replaced so that they make full contact with the rotor. The exfoliating rust on the outside edge of the rotor seems excessive also. Anyone have similar experience or advice on what to do?
Attached Thumbnails Should my rotors look like this?-tahoe-brake1.jpg   Should my rotors look like this?-tahoe-brake2.jpg  
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default brakes

i'd need to see the pads as well...

pics?!

does it stop like it always has?
Old October 28th, 2009, 3:22 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not worry about the rust. Id resurface the rotors and install NEW pads, the used pads cannot be resurfaced.
Old October 28th, 2009, 4:33 PM
CF Veteran

Angry rotors

i would make the dealer take care of it under customer satisfaction that is if you are the first owner and bought it from them .i made my dealership do it for my 01 2500hd it did that in the middle of the rear rotors .that will cut down the stopping power of your vehicle ,it's a safety issue .
Old October 28th, 2009, 6:08 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Its not an issue with the pads, its all the cheap recycled steel that comes from china that goes into the rotors. A classic example of why you should get premium rotors when doing brake service. The cheap ones will do, but the rotors won't lastas long as a set of pads
Old October 28th, 2009, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

This is very common in factory GM factory rotors (must be cheap), I see this often (couple times a month). We replace them with good quality aftermarket rotors and the problem does not come back. You can not turn it out because the rust pits are too deep to get rid of all of it and it will return quickly. I have even seen a TSB stating that GM has upgraded to a harder brake pad so it will wear the rust away as it forms.
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice. I'm not the first owner and didn't buy it where I have it serviced. It's still under original factory warranty so I'll push the safety angle and try to get new pads and rotors, but I'll settle for turned rotors. Anyone know of the best aftermarket replacement rotors and pads?
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Originally Posted by Flyfishtrip
but I'll settle for turned rotors.
Do not settle for turned rotors, THEY CAN NOT BE TURNED OUT. I see this all the time. They probably will not warranty it either.
Old November 1st, 2009, 3:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd swear you had taken a picture of my rotors! Mine looked exactly the same. I replaced the sh$$ OEM pads with Wagner Thermo Quiets, and let them "resurface" the rotors. Now the entire rotor is in contact with the pad. BTW, the OEM pads were wearing all ****-eyed. I've since replaced the rotors too. My concern with resurfacing your rotors, is that in doing so, they'll warp easier.
Old November 1st, 2009, 8:18 PM
CF Veteran

Default rotors

i have always had good luck with raybestos rotors .

Quick Reply: Should my rotors look like this?