Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Squawks and Resistance

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2011, 1:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squawks and Resistance

I haven't had my Burb all that long, and don't have any experience with the Transmission Operations on it. I have the 4 Speed Automatic, with the Electronic "Buttons" which move it into 4WD.

When I have it in 2WD, it runs smooth as silk, but...
when I put it in 4WD, the Front Axle seems to totally lock, and I get squawking from the inside wheel on a turn, and if it let up on the gas, it is like putting the brakes on it stops so quickly. That's when I'm turning, but it drives ok in a straight line in 4WD.

I believe/know that I have the Positrack, but, I thought that was in the Rear Differential not the front. What's causing this front wheels "lockup" ?

Last edited by SWHouston; September 24th, 2011 at 7:24 PM.
Old September 24th, 2011, 3:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What type surface are you driving on?
Old September 24th, 2011, 7:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for your reply...

It doesn't seem to matter, Pavement, Rock, Dirt, I can hear/feel the inter front wheel of the circle, trying to keep up speed with the outer wheel, in either direction I turn.

IF the Front Axle has Spider gears in it, shouldn't they allow the different wheel speeds to occur, just like a standard rear end does ?
It's just like the Spider gears were frozen, or IF there's any kind of Traction Control up there, that it's got both front wheels stuck/locked together.
Old September 24th, 2011, 7:52 PM
CF Monarch

I don't know, but if you're driving it on dry pavement it will display your symptoms especially in a trun. I thinks because of the "slip" in the front diff.
Old September 24th, 2011, 8:40 PM
Super Moderator

But, there is NO slip in the front differential !

Those wheels are solidly locked, and that is going to cause some excessive wear on my front tires. Are you sure this is normal/intentional ! ?
Old September 24th, 2011, 8:53 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Every 4WD I've driven does what you describe on dry, hard surfaces.
Old September 24th, 2011, 9:11 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by SWHouston

Those wheels are solidly locked, and that is going to cause some excessive wear on my front tires. Are you sure this is normal/intentional ! ?
Bottom line, if not in 4x4 conditons, don't drive in 4x4.
Old September 24th, 2011, 9:13 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by SWHouston

You'll have a limited slip in the front diff, and in the rear unless it is a posi track. When turning the front (in 4x4) every 4th or so (not sure) revolation it will "drive" that wheel.
Old September 25th, 2011, 3:22 PM
CF Junior Member

All four wheel drive vehicles are actually "three wheel drive" unless there is a locker in the back. When you put it into four wheel drive you lock the front and thats why you get the noise during the turn, because the wheels are locked together but they are trying to turn at different speeds.
Old September 25th, 2011, 4:39 PM
Super Moderator

Well crap !, I'm not sure if I like that or not !
(the way it works, not your replies )

I guess it's a real advantage to have the Front Wheels locked together when you really need the traction, but it sure seems like it's not a good idea, when you're turning, seems like they would have put some sort of slip feature up there, where they would stay connected to the surface.

I have the G80 Rear setup, but is that a Limited Slip, or a Positrack ? I know it "recognizes" the need for different wheel speed on turns.

Quick Reply: Squawks and Resistance